Pure Feedback - Post your suggestions

Post by Darkel on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:44 pm

Post your feedback on RG here!
Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Re: Pure Feedback - Post your suggestions

Post by Whos on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:15 pm

I suggest we change the banner eventually. It's really nice, but I think a new one would also be nice.

I can multitasking - Prussian

I actually was busy trying to get more gonger ale - Prussian

Also...just because you rescued a male chick and called him Kevin, doesn't mean I care. - ViperaUnion

But in retaliation, I'm going to add all your typoes to my sig. - Prussian

It's not a horror game, it's more of a pussle - Prussian

Follow the Bloody Brick Road - Prussian

Shut your skittley little mouth - Darkel

I'm actually quite humble, I just love to mess with scurbs. - Canis_dirus

Whos : Ah, I like my bleach straight..

curius : In the eyes
"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:37 pm

Were it not for the potential for good that this thread has, its inactivity would be a convincing argument for its removal. Darkel?

I can multitasking - Prussian

I actually was busy trying to get more gonger ale - Prussian

Also...just because you rescued a male chick and called him Kevin, doesn't mean I care. - ViperaUnion

But in retaliation, I'm going to add all your typoes to my sig. - Prussian

It's not a horror game, it's more of a pussle - Prussian

Follow the Bloody Brick Road - Prussian

Shut your skittley little mouth - Darkel

I'm actually quite humble, I just love to mess with scurbs. - Canis_dirus

Whos : Ah, I like my bleach straight..

curius : In the eyes
"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_dirus on Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:32 pm

The problem with the new rule concerning RP arcs is that it stifles new RP threads in an already slow moving forum. The storyline should be fluid and dynamic, and if you try to limit things like this you are simply suffocating the community slowly since it becomes difficult to make a new thread. I can actually speak from personal experience here, as it took a week or two to get an RP started with a moderator, however it was fine since I was able to easily start my own thread and run with it. That is what this forum needs, more people able and willing to do RPs and bring life to the story, not more regulation that simply bogs down the process.
It is the same way with new civilization or 'race' sheets, since now there will be a mandatory delay before interesting new factions, which can be quite valuable to the storyline, will be able to be implemented.

This brings us to the next issue: moderation. Two of the three rule clarifications essentially centralize more power into the two central admins, neither or whom are online very often at all, nor do they respond very well to PMs. The new changes would be better accomplished by simply having the moderators approve and disprove new threads and civ sheets if there is that large of an issue with having a coherent storyline, which as I address below, there isn't.

The last issue is that of relevance.
"...these changes are not coming about as a result of any actions made by the Ruthless Galaxy community...but recent events elsewhere on the internet experienced by both Darkel and I have led to us implementing these changes"
The problem is, Ruthless Galaxy is not elsewhere on the Internet. There are differences between this forum and others, and therefore, implementing a blanket policy like this in response to something that hasn't even happened doesn't really help anyone. Instead, it leads to the issues mentioned above, and doesn't solve any problems because there weren't any to begin with!
Canis_dirus
Cadet

http://ancerious-galactic.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaroas on Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:44 pm

Allow me to respond to your feedback. I apologize for not being on the forum earlier when the conflict occurred and Whoster changed his name to "RevolutionaryHeart", but I am actually pretty busy most of the time.

The problem with the new rule concerning RP arcs is that it stifles new RP threads in an already slow moving forum. The storyline should be fluid and dynamic, and if you try to limit things like this you are simply suffocating the community slowly since it becomes difficult to make a new thread. I can actually speak from personal experience here, as it took a week or two to get an RP started with a moderator, however it was fine since I was able to easily start my own thread and run with it. That is what this forum needs, more people able and willing to do RPs and bring life to the story, not more regulation that simply bogs down the process.

Let me begin by saying that, to be honest, I am likely going to change the rule to encompass only large RPs and such that don't have massive impacts on the larger story as a whole. We shouldn't need to approve RPs that encompass simply first contact between two races, or a minor side story someone wants to tell. What we do need to approve, however, is huge over-arcing plots that can disrupt what we have planned, and nobody really informs us of what they plan to do with their races anymore regardless. In this regard, unless you want to change something big in the story, it won't be difficult to make a thread.

Additionally, I would like to point out that, traditionally, we have operated well with minimal threads. Originally, the Disruption was the only RG roleplay in existence, because everyone used it for their plots. There were some side stories created eventually that had little impact on the galaxy as a whole, such as Apocalypse, so we were able to move that into a different thread. Over time, we kept Disruption as the main RP and created others for side stories, most notably Divided Paths for various things. We don't need a massive and confusing amount of threads here - plenty of people have introduced new races, done first contact, etc. in either Disruption (before we made Fatebreaker the main RP) or Divided Paths. That way, you don't need to create a new thread every time. You ask people to do it in one of the existing ones, and they'll usually  be fine with it.

The forum might be seen as slow moving because many people like to plan out their stuff as opposed to just jotting down whatever comes to mind. Most of my time here has been spent making my races unique and identifiable from others, which everyone should theoretically be doing, rather than making a new page in an RP every day. Sure, more activity would be nice. However, the truth of the matter is, it won't be possible given that many of the writers here are undergoing changes in their lives. For me, as an example, this year I have been preoccupied with my senior year of high school and preparing to go to a school across the entire country for college. I simply have not had as much time for this place as others, or as much as I used to. While I apologize for that inactivity on my behalf, and I'm sure Darkel can speak to it as well, the fact of the matter is that we have lives outside this forum. I can't constantly be on here to spark activity and make new threads.

By the way, in theory, it's really not that hard to get an RP or sheet approved, especially by me. I'm actually pretty lax, you just need to put some effort into what you're doing.  

It is the same way with new civilization or 'race' sheets, since now there will be a mandatory delay before interesting new factions, which can be quite valuable to the storyline, will be able to be implemented.

Before I respond to this I'm going to ask you to look at the race entering section. The rule has technically been one that should be in the back of people's heads since the description of the race entering section has said "Wait for administrator approval" for a very long time. We didn't change that recently.

Additionally, in theory you guys shouldn't be submitting sheets like crazy. Many people have operated completely fine with one race, an example that I can point out being Whoster. New factions and storylines shouldn't always be the result of new races and empires suddenly being discovered and then throwing things for a loop. It should mostly be due to the interaction of currently existing content. That's what RG is literally all about - the interaction of various different factions on both a small and large scale. You don't need four races like me to accomplish that. Additionally, there already was a mandatory delay before new stuff is allowed in, it's called moderator approval and it was present before we said anything.

This brings us to the next issue: moderation. Two of the three rule clarifications essentially centralize more power into the two central admins, neither or whom are online very often at all, nor do they respond very well to PMs. The new changes would be better accomplished by simply having the moderators approve and disprove new threads and civ sheets if there is that large of an issue with having a coherent storyline, which as I address below, there isn't.

I'm going to look at this one sentence at a time, beyond the first one which doesn't say much. I would like to defend myself in saying that I haven't been online a lot because I've been busy with things in real life. This isn't a full-time job, I don't get paid to be an administrator here. I do it because I enjoy working with you all, and I want to continue the stories I have established. So yeah, I'm not online often, but I believe that since I created the new rules and such I've been here every day to ensure there aren't any issues. Which there clearly are, considering the state of the chatbox, which I will address at a later.

Also, I can't speak for Darkel here, but I would like to show you a picture of my private message inbox.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The last PM I received was June 13th, and every PM has been from a moderator or administrator. The members here have not tried to contact me directly in a very long time, which is very easy to do in reality. I think it's pretty unfair to say I don't respond to PMs well when you haven't tried to PM me at all.

The issue with moderators approving stuff is that they might not have the best judgement, and while I personally trust the moderators here, there have been issues with moderators not knowing what is going on with a story and whatnot. That's the whole point behind the StoryMaker rank. Moderators, with the changes I have in mind, will be able to approve new, minor RPs, but not larger ones that have a huge impact on the story. The last part of the sentence is really confusing me so I'm not going to respond directly to it.

The last issue is that of relevance.
"...these changes are not coming about as a result of any actions made by the Ruthless Galaxy community...but recent events elsewhere on the internet experienced by both Darkel and I have led to us implementing these changes"
The problem is, Ruthless Galaxy is not elsewhere on the Internet. There are differences between this forum and others, and therefore, implementing a blanket policy like this in response to something that hasn't even happened doesn't really help anyone. Instead, it leads to the issues mentioned above, and doesn't solve any problems because there weren't any to begin with!

While I understand your point, there's a little thing called "Working from experience." When doing anything in life, we draw on past experiences and events to present to us solutions to problems that we come across. That's what we did here - while our experience elsewhere hasn't directly been tied to RG, it's alerted us to issues that can arise in the future that we have to effectively fix before they get out of hand. It's not solving directly for problems, it's preparing for possible problems. Which is still useful. And, if you considered what the policies are and how easy it is to get ahold of me when you actually PM me or respond in a thread I'm watching, they're really not that big of a deal. There's no more of a delay, in theory, with me approving things than with anyone else approving things.

Also, to be completely honest, issues have arisen here in the past that these new rules would fix very effectively. I'm not going to name anything specific, but it wasn't very recent at all.

Didact

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel on Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:47 pm

A) RG is slow as it is. The rate in which sheets are accepted will not change that at all.

B) I come online every day. I may not post everywhere but I am here. I answer PMs 100% of the time unless there is no response for me to give. Zar does this as well. You can even look down in the "members online in the past 24 hours" list of the forum and see that I have been online. So I'm not quite sure what you're talking about when you say we aren't "online very often at all".

C) If there is a delay, it is worth it. Zar and I are much more perceptive of the overall story and lore of RG than most members, considering we've written about 80% of it. We do need to inspect races and make sure they do not tamper with things already established or break rules. Similar to what Zar was suggesting, moderators may not be this perceptive.

D) There are problems, here on RG, you just aren't aware of them (nor will be informed of them any time soon, so don't ask). Zar was just explaining that the recent decision was triggered by the same events happening places outside lately.

The rate in which we even receive race sheets is substantially slower than you are currently comprehending. The last two sheets are the first we have received in 2016, to give you an idea. I'm not worried about a mandatory inspection of them slowing down a nonexistent rate. Zar and I, as administrators of RG, have ran this place for many years. We know how things work around here and we know what we are looking for story-wise in RG. We have RG's best interest in mind when we place these rules down. We are not doing it for the sake of control.

On another related note, this is being blown waaaay out of proportion. I have heard nobody complain save for Whos and now you (for what I am assuming are bandwagon reasons). There are no problems with these rules.

As Zaroas has suggested, some rules may change. But administrator acceptance of race sheets and larger RPs will not. Thank you.

EDIT:

Also, after reading the chatbox, I figured I would add a little bit more to this post. For those of you suggesting that "RG is turning into Roleplex" let me inform you that this is the first conflict I've seen on RG in a very long time. This absolutely nothing like Roleplex, and as people who saw what happened there, I'm a little disappointed you forget events so easily. Roleplex closed due to the community splitting into two groups and fighting for forum control, as well as the introduction of vast profanity, religious discrimination, and general community infighting. RG is a group of close-knit friends that I know would never do such things. Roleplex had different groups. RG is pretty much one group.

This little quarrel really is not a big deal. I don't see why in the world it's being made out like it is. I'm not banning anyone, I'm not revoking mod privileges. I'm not going to ban someone and use their RP materials as my own like it was suggested in the chatbox. As pointed out by Whos, I would merely write them off. Whos, despite his fighty attitude and present displacement towards me, is still a critical asset to RG and the oldest member besides myself. I would never consider banning him unless it was my only choice.

Also, if you're going to judge this forum by what you read from twelve lines of text, I am seriously disappointed in you.

Zar and I are interested in what is best for RG. One five-minute argument is not going to blow up a forum that's been running since 2012. Did you see any glaring insults? Any harsh flame? No. Not one bad word was used. I have seen smaller forums survive far worse. This was a conflict that didn't need to happen and more importantly definitely didn't need to go this far.

Now before I end this, I ask that you all chill out because it's not the end of the world that we're making race sheets and bigger RPs be accepted by admins. Just contact us, communicate with us and all shall be fine.

[20:34:09] ShadowBroker : What? Your computer radiation made you black?
Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by curius on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:50 pm

Dear administrators, the concern about the centralizing the power reaches wider than Whos and Canis. I was about to stay silent, but I will not let you belittle our concerns. You asked for communication, so here is my contribution.

My concerns are less about the practical things and more about the way you view the RG and us the community. This is a small community, most of us having known each other for years. I have come to think most of you as friends. This change of rules would tell me that you administrators think otherwise.

As administrators you already had the final say. Taking a direct control to me looks like you do not trust the community and expecially the moderators. It also feels that you consider the RG as a whole to be your property. This would be problematic as it is, but the fact that neither of you admins have created content nor actively participated for a long time makes it feel like the community is working for you, while it says under our banner that RG is a "collobrative project".

While the RG community might be small and whole, you administrators have been almost inactive for long time, and for me these new rules alienate you more from the common member. As a small community a single dispute could be enough to break us apart, so do not belittle us who are concerned about the direction we are going.

When you read this know that I too care about what is Best for the community of Ruthless Galaxy.

Honorary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel on Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:36 pm

First off, I usually am under the exact opposite impression. Zar and I may not post in Fatebreaker every day, but we definitely do far more story work than most. I know this due to the massive cluster of endless planning pages we have written and shared with each other on Google docs, something that is ongoing constantly. So no, we do not lack in contribution. We simply have not publicized those contributions yet, but they are coming. We also have been working hard on the galaxy maps, and are about to start updating the timeline. I have also been writing out race information threads for my own races (which, by the way, almost none of you have done or likely will do in the future). I have never ever been under the impression that Zar and I don't do anything. Because we do a lot and we are constantly working on this  stuff when we are online.

The majority of Zar and I's chatbox conversations deal with plot materials, whereas anytime I see anyone else in the chatbox you're all discussing another video game, politics, or something completely random and irrelevant to RG in its entirety. One little example is every time I try to talk seriously about RG RPs or projects with Whos he either shakes me off or almost immediately changes the subject to something totally unrelated (Halo 5 or Trump vs Hillary, usually).

Not only this but Zar and I have each other's phone numbers that we use when we can't get to the chatbox, and Facebook messenger, for when we need to plan things out.

Still unsatisfied? Let's also not forget that I also fleshed out an entire plot for a whole RP and was ready to take off with it, yet it got not a single post:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So why would making a new RP or a similar contribution be any different whatsoever? I'm not going to waste my time again creating a whole new world, race, and plot for something that everyone will just walk past. It's simply not worth my time.

Also, the deviantART group! Which two people (including myself) contributed to:

The RG blog! Which I gave the password to all admins and moderators yet not a single person used it to post anything:

Let's also not forget who (me) is the one who had been going around to like a hundred different forums and websites and creating accounts and making tons of posts on each just to advertise RG. Who else did that? Nobody. Even after all my pleas.

Oh, but I didn't make a new post in Fatebreaker. Well I guess that means I don't do anything here. I guess I'm just a totally terrible admin who neglects his community. No, I do a good bit of work that goes pretty unnoticed. And you guys could do a lot more work yourselves. And yet you say I don't do anything? My endless attempts to engage people in this community trail back to the group's beginning and each time I am disappointed. So, I can be pretty unmotivated because of this and how unresponsive this community can be sometimes. But have I ever failed to stop working? No. Whether it's RP stories or the community in general. I have provided. And I am sorry I cannot be here 24/7. I am taking college courses right now and have a job. I am still here, but I have a life too, you know. I am only one person. But I have been coming online at least once every single day to check up on everything for several weeks now.

We do not view RG as "our property" nor are we belittling you. But truth be told, no, we do not trust some of the story-making decisions of the moderators. But those this applies to I have already spoken with about such. We view you all as friends, but we are still admins nonetheless and we still have jobs to do. We appreciate feedback, but also keep in mind you should try to respect our decisions, especially when they are final. We have adjusted the rules to make them more relaxed. All we are saying is that when accepting sheets, mods must consult us before totally accepting them and allow us to approve it. Same goes with major RPs (as we have had too many glaring problems with past RPs).

Like I said earlier, the rate in which either of these two things happen is extremely slow and virtually nonexistent. There really isn't a problem and it won't be affecting activity in the slightest. All it takes is a simple PM, which we will respond to at our first chance, given we are notified as soon as we receive a PM. You also have other mediums such as steam and email itself. All it takes is communication. And to be completely honest with you, people rarely communicate with Zar and I and it drives us crazy. That's another reason for this. Improve it and these rules may disappear in time. These rules themselves may not be permanent. But I think RG is due for a minor probationary period.

In short, we don't at all disrespect or belittle this community, but we still have jobs to do as admins. Whether or not you like or dislike those jobs. We don't view you wrongly (I won't get into how I don't appreciate how everyone seems to be viewing us though). But like I keep saying, we do have jobs. We care about the quality of RG's story and are trying to improve it and take it in what we believe is the right direction. Overall I do not think in any way that these rules are overbearing or too much to ask. All that we are asking from the mods and story makers is that we be informed of sheets and RPs and that we give our approval before they are accepted. It's really not that hard. And if for some reason we are not available (I'm talking, months to years here) I'm sure there are exceptions.

That's all.

Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by curius on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:26 am

All your work together with Zar is not wisible to atleast me. To me you two have been mostly inactive. Until now that is. Also you mention the lack of communication. Communication about what things? I have not been aware of your grand plans, or even that you were doing some plans. About what should the people have been communicating you with?

And about our chatbox conversations? We did formulate a plot framework recently there including the open on, a plot for rp Im about to make along with a new race. One of the reasons I took the rule changes hard is that they greatly discouraged me from this project.

And yes, I do not expect you to immediately change the rules back, that would undermine administration's authority, but since it seemed you were going to brush away the people concerns I had to make sure we were heard

Honorary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:38 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:All your work together with Zar is not wisible to atleast me. To  me you two have been mostly inactive. Until now that is.

I find it funny, because nobody seems to care about what we are doing for RG until moments like these. We actually do quite a lot. Let's also not forget who decorates this forum every year for a fresh theme. I also don't think I need to restate what all we do here that I said in the previous post.

I also find it quite funny that you are harping on me for "inactivity", given that there was a period for almost a year that we tried contacting you to get you involved in the RPs and could not reach you. In fact this new RP and race you speak of is probably your first contribution to RG in a year or so, unless I have missed something. I just find it a little humorous that you have the audacity to suggest such about Zar and I, given your own (much more extensive) lack of activity and contribution here.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Also you mention the lack of communication. Communication about what things? I have not been aware of your grand plans, or even that you were doing some plans. About what should the people have been communicating you with?

Everything. Somebody decides to change their race drastically. Yet they don't tell us until months later, and come to find out their race draws so immensely similar to another race that it could be classified as a duplicate. Yet we are too kind to make them scratch the whole thing and start over because of the hard work done. Or RPs. When someone decides to do something that affects us or everybody else and we are given no notice. Even starting RPs. The list goes on and on and on. The aggravation we feel in those moments is indescribable and thus another justification for said guidelines.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:And about our chatbox conversations? We did formulate a plot framework recently there including the open on, a plot for rp Im about to make along with a new race. One of the reasons I took the rule changes hard is that they greatly discouraged me from this project.

It's really not that hard to get out approval. All we are looking for in sheets is that you put the appropriate amount of thought into it and that you don't break any rules. It's really that simple. It's easy, especially for prexisting members.

Literally all we're asking for is communication through these rules. I don't see what's so hard about that. We aren't going to be nazis about sheets. We just want to approve of them and/or critique them before they are accepted. Note: mods can still accept sheets, they just have to get our approval first. I think many of you are skipping over this detail or misunderstanding it. (Though I may have stated it poorly before tbh)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:And yes, I do not expect you to immediately change the rules back, that would undermine administration's authority, but since it seemed you were going to brush away the people concerns I had to make sure we were heard

You are being heard, trust me. Our only issue with all this complaining is that we believe you are all making this much harder than it needs to be and that this is being blown way out of proportion. All we are asking for is communication and we aren't going to be strict about the content of sheets or RPs. That's it. We aren't being inconsiderate of all of you or brushing you off like Congress or something. We're doing this for a more efficient and orderly RG.

Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by curius on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:33 am

I do aknowledge my inactiveness, that is why I turned down the offer to become moderator. However my activity or lack of it has nothing to do with the administration of this forum.

But now I think I have achived everything I can with this conversation, so I wont drag it on any longer. I do not lightly thread into politics.

Honorary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top