Announcement

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Announcement

Post by Whos on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:32 pm

It has recently come to my attention that our newest member, Newfane_Boys/Nevron_Lord144, has entered a race sheet which, though unknown to me at first, is largely copied and pasted information about a race called "Necrons" in a game I believe is called Warhammer 40k, Along with taking creations from other users on Spore for his own races use. So, until said member can compose a unique race of his own, his empire has been removed from Ruthless Galaxy, and he may not participate in adventure making or RPing until he can come up with his own race. Nevron may still post in the General Discussion and forum games, but other than that is restricted from posting in any other section until he has entered a new race sheet and has it accepted.

That is all.

I can multitasking - Prussian

I actually was busy trying to get more gonger ale - Prussian

Also...just because you rescued a male chick and called him Kevin, doesn't mean I care. - ViperaUnion

But in retaliation, I'm going to add all your typoes to my sig. - Prussian

It's not a horror game, it's more of a pussle - Prussian

Follow the Bloody Brick Road - Prussian

Shut your skittley little mouth - Darkel

I'm actually quite humble, I just love to mess with scurbs. - Canis_dirus

Whos : Ah, I like my bleach straight..

curius : In the eyes
"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Re: Announcement

Post by The Cunning Linguist on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:30 am

Dude, my own Tsardom is kind of copied and pasted from human history, such as Imperial Russia. And face it, your own empires are subconsciously copied and pasted from stuff like Halo and Mass Effect.
The Cunning Linguist
Philosoraptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:38 pm

Okay, I can see where you're going with that, but you're also confused, so I'll clarify, point by point.

1: There is a difference between stealing, and being inspired by something. Your Tsardom may bear similarities to events in human history, but this does not make it a total copy/pasting, or stealing. You added your own spin on things, not to mention that, well, the Tsardom are aliens, not humans, among other things, and your own touches make them unique enough that they are yours, not slight tweaks on somebody else's work (Hey, correct me if I'm totally wrong)

2: Yes, I was inspired by some of the things in Halo, like Power Armor, slipspace drives, Kig-Yar and Sangheili, however, I have also taken the Jorro'kil in another direction since being inspired by these things, to make them more unique, more my own, and I hope I have made them different enough to be recognized as themselves, not another's work. As I said, there is a difference between inspiration and plagiarism/stealing.

3: I've never played Mass Effect, and if I have custody of any information of its universe, it would be diddily squat.

4: I remember when Zaroas was going to enter a race directly from another fiction universe, and being worried about this, but thankfully he instead entered an empire/race of his own.

I apologize for not being aware of Nevron's/Newfane's sheet being mostly plagiarism, and I hope he'll be able and willing to enter a new race of his own.

Also...just because you rescued a male chick and called him Kevin, doesn't mean I care. - ViperaUnion

"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cunning Linguist on Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:33 pm

I'm not confused, and I can't really trust you because you don't really know much about the thing he's taking from to know how different it is from. On the sporum thread someone else had to point it out, and I don't trust you that you know the WH40k lore to know the if he's blatantly stealing or not.
The Cunning Linguist
Philosoraptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:15 pm

This would have been a reasonable arguement, but since being informed of what his sheet is, and doing research on it myself, I do know what I'm talking about.

"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cunning Linguist on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:48 pm

Mmhm? Okay, so how did the Necrons come about? How did they become what they are now? Who do they worship? What are the names of the gods they worship?
The Cunning Linguist
Philosoraptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:51 pm

I'll answer your questions with quotes directly from the Necron wiki. But before I do, ,I'd like to ask, do you actually disagree with my decision, or are you arguing with me just to argue with me?

Q 1&2 :
Biotransference and the Rise of the Necrons
"When the Silent King saw what had been done, he knew at last the true nature of the C'tan, and of the doom they had wrought in his name."
—excerpt from the Book of Mournful Night
The Necron forces on the march during the ancient War in Heaven after biotransference
Added by MontoniusArmed with weapons of god-like power and starships that could cross the galaxy in the blink of an eye through the use of quantum phase technology, the Necrontyr stood ready to begin their war against the Old Ones anew. But the C'tan had another gift for their mortal subjects. They offered the Necrontyr a path to immortality and the physical stability their race had always craved. Their diseased flesh would be replaced with the living metal of necrodermis that made up their Star Gods' own physical forms. Their discarded organic husks would be consumed and their cold, metal forms would then be free to pursue their great vengeance against the Old Ones and the rest of a hateful universe, freed forever from the weaknesses of their hated flesh.

With the pact between Necrontyr and C'tan sealed, the Star Gods revealed the form that immortality would take for the Necrontyr, and the great biotransference process began. Colossal bio-furnaces built by Necrontyr artifice roared day and night, consuming weak-bodied flesh and replacing it with enduring machine forms of living metal, much like the C'tan themselves. As the cyclopean machines clamoured, the C'tan swarmed about the biotransference sites, drinking in the torrent of cast-off life energy and growing ever stronger.

Whether the Necrontyr actually realised the price they would actually pay for accepting this pact with the C'tan is not known. The immortality the C'tan promised would be delivered unto the Necrontyr by way of the arcane and terrible process of bio-transference. Vast bio-foundries were constructed, and into these the Silent King's peoples marched according to the terms of the pact he had made with the C'tan. What blasphemous procedures the Necrontyr were subjected to within the raging bio-furnaces cannot be known, but certainly, each was stripped of flesh and of soul, his body replaced by a shell of living metal animated by what remained of his guttering self. Above each furnace swooped and dove the ethereal true-forms of the C'tan as they glutted themselves on the spiritual detritus of an entire species. It was only when the Silent King himself emerged from the bio-transference process and looked upon what had become of his people that he saw the awful truth of the pact he had made. Though immortality and nigh godlike strength and vigour were his, it had come at the cost of his soul, the effluvial remains of which had already been sucked down the gullet of a circling C'tan.

As Szarekh watched the C'tan feast on the life essence of his people, he realised the terrible depth of his mistake. In many ways, he felt better that he had in decades, the countless aches and uncertainties of organic life now behind him. His new machine body was far mightier than the frail form he had tolerated for so long, and his thoughts were swifter and clearer than they had ever been. yet there was an emptiness gnawing at his mind, an inexpressible hollowness of spirit that defied rational explanation. In that moment, he knew with cold certainty that the price of physical immortality had been the loss of his soul. With great sorrow the Silent King beheld the fate he had brought upon his people: the Necrontyr were not but a memory, and the soulless, undying Necrons had been reborn in their place.

Yet if the price had been steep, biotransference had fulfilled all of the promises that the C'tan had made. Even the lowliest of the Necrontyr was now blessed with immortality -- age and hard radiation could little erode their new mechanical bodies, and only the most terrible of injuries could destroy them utterly. Likewise, the Necrons now enjoyed a unity that the Necrontyr had never known, though it was achieved through tyranny and the complete loss of individuality and emotion rather than by consent. The biotransference process had embedded command protocols in every Necron mind, granting Szarekh the unswerving loyalty of his subjects. At first, the Silent King embraced this unanimity, for it was a welcome reprieve from the chaos that had consumed the Necrontyr Empire in recent years. However, as time wore on he grew weary of his burden but dared not sever the command protocols, lest his subjects turn on him seeking vengeance for the terrible curse he ahd visited upon them.

Thus the Necrontyr became the Necrons, cursed to the eternal servitude of their Star Gods. The C'tan feasted upon the entire Necrontyr race's life energies even as they made the transfers, leaving behind only the ghostly echoes of the Necrontyr's consciousnesses. Only a few of the most strong-willed Necrontyr retained their intellect and self-awareness and even they were but shadows of their former selves. They had been purged of so much of what had made them unique individuals. The Necrons cared not at all for their loss; all that mattered to them was that they would live forever without disease or death as their Star Gods had promised. Nevertheless, the Necrontyr species was united as never before. The process imbued in every one of the Silent King's subjects the command protocols with which he would rule over them with an iron hand. The entire species was his to command, and so it fell upon the Necrons to honour their side of their terrible bargain. Renewed by their devouring of the souls of an entire species, the C'tan were unstoppable, and with the legions of the Necrons marching in their wake, the Old Ones were doomed. Only one thing truly remained of the old Necrontyr -- their burning hatred for all the other living, intelligent species of the universe. Legions of the undying living metal warriors set out into the galaxy in their Tomb Ships and the stars burned in their wake. The Old Ones' mastery of the Warp was now countered by the C'tan's supremacy over the physical universe and the ancient enemies of the Necrons suffered greatly in the interstellar slaughter that followed.

Q 3: The C'tan.

Q 4: I only saw one distinct name in my search, and that would be "The Deciever"

"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cunning Linguist on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:19 am

I don't like double standards. Somewhere around here one of us has a race that's also basically just taken from somewhere else, and I feel like the only reason you're doing this is because the guy told that himself, therefore that's why you care. Ask him to change it if you may, I really don't mind, but be more introspective.
The Cunning Linguist
Philosoraptor

Back to top Go down

Post by curius on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:53 am

After following this argument I decided to inspect the entry myself. I'll try and be as objective as possible and present my analyse on the entry:

The race, its technology, culture, tactics, and mostly everything except the history is somewhere around 70-90% taken from the old Warhammer 40k Necrons lore. This includes names, like Necron god Night-bringer and Nevron god terror-bringer.

There is also the fact that Nevrons are troublesome role-playing-vice, copied or not. Firstly, they are pretty close to being over-powered. Coupled with the fact that they are bent on killing everything and always at war, they might not be very fun to play or play against. And lastly, they are breaking the "No Magic" -rule.

So, in my opinion, there are also other reasons to disqualify the Nevrons other than copying. And that is mostly because NECRONS are OP, undying, impersonate killing-machines in favour of star-eating gods.

EDIT: I missed the two edits. While the over-powering mostly ceased, I think the two other points still apply.

Honorary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:48 pm

That's not quite the reason Rap (Can I call you rap?) And alright, but I invite you to point out which races are taken mostly from someone else.

@Curius: Thank you, it's refreshing to see more than two opinions, and those are good points.

Though, the Dominion was almost always at war, despite making some alliances. Perhaps when they return *cough*whereareyoudarkel*cough* They'll focus more narrowly on a few races to attack, like mine.

"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:25 pm

Whoster. You missed the part of your history where the Necrons realized their error of choice and led a revolt against the c'tan, and the c'tan in their arrogance did not know of the dangers until it was to late. The necrons shattered the c'tan into millions of pieces called shards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:38 pm

That wasn't necessary as an answer to Raptor's questions. But thanks.

"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down