\| Divided Paths |/ - Chapt. 3 - Resolute - Biome (IC)

Page 30 of 30 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: \| Divided Paths |/ - Chapt. 3 - Resolute - Biome (IC)

Post by curius on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:51 am

The Gardener retreated few steps in response to Ravage's continuing hostility. It reluctantly sheathed its claws once more, an let out a quiet whining noise in protest of being denied to operate on the injury. It pondered on the Rabage's requests for a moment, and slowly began to answer: "You do not trust me, and that's fair. But I will try to earn your trust by answering truthfully. You are asking me to promise things that are not mine to give. I can promise that the gravity beam will be disabled, as I can do that myself. I can't persuade the mind to anything, as "I" will cease to be when the Mind returns. I will carry your demands with me to the Mind, but it will do its decisions according to its whole information." Gardener did its best too look as apologetic as an robot-spider-thingy can.

"However", it carefully continued, "The planet being the mess it is right now, I doubt you will be cept here against your will. To be precise, you are a "contamination" on this planet. The Mind will have its hands full with repairing all the damage and re-stabilizing the biomes, so while you should not expect much help, I doubt there will be anyone to follow you. But then again, I do not have the vast information and wisdom that the Mind posses. But again, there is no spaceships on the orbit, and the gravity beam will be disabled. There is not much to prevent you leaving either way

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:06 pm

Ravage carefully pondered the Gardener's words, and then slowly nodded, "I understand, if it is not within your authority to absolutely ensure that our requests will be carried out, then there is nothing we can do to change that. I do believe, however, as you say, that you have given me an honest answer. I will respect that answer, and I am satisfied that you will do what you can." She said.

She then turned to Jaci, "He is with us," She told him, gesturing to the UFIAI machine with her one good arm.

Ravage was not entirely sure why she was so often involved in situations like this; she had frequently regarded occasions such as this as being, to some extent, her own fault. Though she disliked admitting it even to herself, she had a terrible tendency to charge into situations without any forethought or caution. Her own safety was generally nothing to be concerned about; where shattered bones and physical strength or agility were concerned, she was used to being untouchable, compared to most foes. Ever since she had caught the illness on Maozhu, however, she had noticed that her healing abilities, which had seemed to be the root of much of her strength, had drastically weakened. While she could still heal much faster than others, it was no longer enough that she could outlast an enemy if she permitted herself to be injured. Even her muscle tone, while still greater than an average female of her species, seemed to have decreased since then.

Ravage knew that she probably should have probably permitted the Gardener to heal her arm; it was a major disadvantage to have a broken limb on a planet that seemed to be populated with creatures far more lethal than herself. It was even more so a risk that one of her enemies was an enhanced Jorro'kil super-soldier. Despite having feathers, Jorro'kil could not fly, but their bones were incredibly dense and would take a great deal of force to splinter even slightly. They were also very large and strong, by nature. Chimerosu, whose natural defenses related more closely to evading or hiding from threats, while possibly faster, had hollow bones that could break with relative ease, even by the standards of normal races with no special skeletal features. Chimerosu were also, by comparison to most races that Ravage had seen in the galaxy, rather small in stature, and therefore always at risk of having to face a larger opponent.

Ravage briefly glanced around at the frozen plains surrounding her group, feeling for the first time in many years something that approached fear. Soldiers were taught not to be afraid, but at the same time, perhaps cowardice was not something entirely useless; cowardice was what had allowed her kind to survive as long as they did. Their survival was only endangered when they found themselves too trusting of something that was not like themselves. The main issue being that, even though one variant of Chimerosu was now on the brink of extinction, they still continued to give far too much credit to other empires. Although Ravage valued her alien friends, she knew that most aliens would never see other races as equals, no matter how much they pretended that they did.

Ravage narrowed her eyes, and turned to the Gardner, "Alright, then, we'll bring back the Mind, so please, lead the way."

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:18 pm

Hours after finding his way into the next biome, this one a snowy wasteland, Krevozs continued on towards the gravity beam - and then freedom, assuming he could procure and also fix Ravage's crashed vessel. Ships were cheap and purely functional, and he knew where to get more once he escaped from the surface of the UFIAI planet.

His trek brought him onto an icy plain. Snow flurries would have obscured the vision of a normal Jorro'kil, but Krevozs was bereft of such a limitation. He spotted a dark shape in the distance, and immediately utilized his military-grade magnification goggles to get a closer look at whatever it was.  Beasts that he didn't recognize, moving quickly across the frozen wastes.   They were extremely large - taller than the bounty hunter. He didn't need to waste ammunition or resources on them, so long as they didn't notice him. He started to sprint on towards a rocky outcropping, jutting up in the middle of the flat landscape. Very strange. Still, he welcomed the cover and chance to catch his bearings. He was getting hungry as well.

As he neared the rocks, Krevozs could hear faint voices; he thought he recognized one of them. His sprint slowed to a more deliberate pace.

Yes, there was a mechanical voice too. If it were a service drone, that would be very helpful to the mercenary.

Krevozs stopped, crouched, and unshouldered the pack he was carrying. Quickly, he took out several triangular energy shield emitters, and began to circle the outcropping, placing three of them to create a bubble around the outcropping. He synced his bio-signatures to the master emitter, pulled out a submachine from his pack, primed it, and then quickly activated the energy bubble. Now, only he could pass in and out of it without a significant electrical shock.

An ethereal wave spread out from the emitters, up and over the rocks, to form the energy shield.

Krevozs stepped inside, and shouted towards the rocks.

"Come out and face me!"  Satisfied that the noise would bounce off of the inside of the bubble, thus hiding it from anything that might be listening on the outside, he waited, submachine gun at the ready.

I can multitasking - Prussian

I actually was busy trying to get more gonger ale - Prussian

Also...just because you rescued a male chick and called him Kevin, doesn't mean I care. - ViperaUnion

But in retaliation, I'm going to add all your typoes to my sig. - Prussian

It's not a horror game, it's more of a pussle - Prussian

Follow the Bloody Brick Road - Prussian

Shut your skittley little mouth - Darkel

I'm actually quite humble, I just love to mess with scurbs. - Canis_dirus

Whos : Ah, I like my bleach straight..

curius : In the eyes
"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by curius on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:46 am

”So we have an agreement, excellent”, Gardener declared. It turned away and took few prompt steps before suddenly stopping and turning around to scan the group again. ”Wait!” It shouted. ”None of your originate from an arctic biome nor do you carry effective arctic gear, especially not you”, it said, pointing at the spiromender with one of its surgical blades. ”Night-cycle is highly unpredictable, and already two minutes late. It will bring complete darkness and dozens of Kelvins drop in temperature. You must shelter for the night-” Gardener suddenly stopped in mid sentence, freezing in place. Only its eyes rolled around, looking in every direction, including up. Slowly and carefully it begun to unsheathe its instruments, including the powerful cutting laser in its left appendage. ”Energy field surrounding us” it said shortly and quietly. The field was slightly affecting airflow, and it also was also shining bright as a lamp in shorter wave-lengths. Just then Krevozs' challenging shout rang from behind the rocks. Gardener snapped in the direction of the sound, laser scanning the rocks, ready to lock on any movement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vara Lord on Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:46 pm

Jaci started at the challenge that rang out. As if on reflex, he had an arrow to his bow. He stood, tense has the string on his bow, sniffing, eyes wide as he swung his head back and forth, looking for the source of the sound and the strange lights that were going off everywhere.
Vara Lord
Xenoarcheologist

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:35 pm

Querois swore in Werean tongue, recognizing the voice of the strange Jorro’kil from earlier that Ravage had seemed to know about. “Does he realize that something far more dangerous is capable of seeing this shield? He will draw the Nylggzora right to us, and if even one of their energy-class variants is in this biome, we will be vermin in a trap!” He growled. He looked up at the top of the dome, watching the ice and snow, “On top of that, the Gardener is absolutely correct, if we do not find adequate shelter, everyone will freeze to death, including me. The darkest depths of the ocean are not below the freezing point, this snow is as much as I can handle without protective equipment.” He looked at Ravage, “He is probably summoning you to fight, and we are not of much help, given that you refuse to explain what bad blood you two share to anyone else.”

Ravage looked at Querois, and then in the direction that the summons had come from, gritting her teeth, for the first time reluctant to charge head-first into a potential combat situation. “We need to figure out some way of avoiding a conflict,” She mused under her breath, her voice being lost in the howling winds.

Rune tried to look out and locate the source of the noise, as Ravage had, but had to admit to himself that his senses would never be as sharp as hers. “Perhaps you could try to make peace, and set to rest whatever has made the two of you enemies?” He suggested hopefully. The Thundarians and the Pavolites had done so, and they had viewed themselves as so separate that they regarded one another as entirely different creatures, demons and mortals.

Ravage grimaced, “I am not entirely certain if such a thing is possible.” She answered, staring at where Krevozs’ challenge had emanated from. “Negotiations cannot occur in the midst of violence, and it seems he has every intention of killing me.” Her eyes narrowed.

Rune looked disappointed, “Can we get away, somehow? Or is it possible for you to fight him?” He asked.

Ravage shook her head slowly, “In closed-quarters, there is no hope of me winning if things turn violent. I have a broken arm and am smaller and weaker compared to him. He is a Jorro’kil, a species made for war, and he is enhanced with all of the weaponry that he would ever need to take my life.” She said.

It was humiliating, admitting this, but it was even more foolish to lie to herself, as she had done in the past.

She turned to Jaci, “Please, watch them,” She nodded to Rune, Querois, and the Gardener, before pointing in the direction of the challenge, “He may hurt, or not hurt, we do not know.” She said, using the most simple words she could possible choose, for the sake of making sure that he understood what she was asking him to do.

Ravage then took a deep breath, trying to keep calm as she slowly walked out from behind the rocks, keeping her wings tightly folded, and forcing her one good arm to stay by her side. She looked at where Krevozs was standing a brief distance away, “I have no other way to say this, so I will speak as bluntly as possible.” She began, “Aside from myself, there is a native of this planet in our party, and there are two children in my care, as well as a UFIAI machine that has agreed to make escaping this planet possible if we assist it in its directive.” She continued, “I also have my animal companion, Xenos, but he does poorly in the cold, and I feared that you would kill him if I were to leave him in the forest.” Her composure was forced, and she could not help but be nervous about this situation, but she would hide it as best as she could, “I have a broken arm, and no longer heal as quickly as I used to. Your shield has created a visible signal announcing our location, and there are dangerous creatures capable of entering and exiting it that are beyond either of us.”

She sighed, “That in mind, I have nothing to rely on to protect myself, and if you wished to kill me, there is little I could do to stop you.”

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:47 pm

Krevozs stood silently and expressionless as Ravage spoke to him. After she finished speaking, he waited a few seconds, and then gave his answer.

"I'll not kill you while you're weak. There is no sport in it. As for your party, my only interest is in your UFIAI companion." He paused, choosing his words carefully. He felt uncomfortable about creating a truce. She didn't trust him, and he didn't want her to. He continued, "You'll have to tell me more about these creatures."

With that, Krevozs reinserted his SMG into his pack, and began to walk deeper into the outcropping.

"I'll help you for now." He said, and tossed her a small pack of medical supplies. As he came around a particularly large rock, Krevozs noticed Jaci pointing an arrow at his face.

"Save your arrows." He said with a dismissive wave, and turned his attention to the UFIAI machine. "I need you." He said, pointing at it. "As, I suppose, do we all."

Also...just because you rescued a male chick and called him Kevin, doesn't mean I care. - ViperaUnion

"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:08 pm

Querois, who had partially changed his skin to blend into the surroundings, became slightly more visible, giggling slightly at the ease of the negotiations, although his eyes had a dangerous, alarming glint in them that hinted of something resembling insanity. He was always fully-aware of the situation, and wouldn't do anything that put himself or his allies at risk, but he hardly trusted this mercenary-type Jorro'kil at all. A major rule of thumb was that the young Werean was fully capable of behaving in a civil manner, and functioning in a normal social setting, but when he felt resentment or any other negative emotion towards something he deemed a threat, he became someone quite different. Querois typically preferred to annoy or otherwise toy with those he disliked, typically exaggerating strange behaviors to the point that he seemed ridiculous, and avoiding being physically harmed because of his own cowardly nature. Overall, he usually became very unpleasant to be around when he did not like someone.

Despite all of these things, however, the serious nature that Querois had displayed in life-threatening situations suggested that a huge portion of his eccentric personality was simply an act. It was a very good act, but in the end, the young alien had no intention of making life easy for his enemies. Although he was simply a child and nobody would take him seriously, there was a very real possibility of him becoming someone far more dangerous later in life. He was also carefully observing those around him, to the point that he seemed fascinated by their actions or behaviors.

Like many young aliens who had spent time in situations alongside Ravage, the time that it would take for him to truly ‘grow up’ would probably be very short.

“Regardless of your intentions, Jorro’kil, we do not have time to discuss what we want or why right now.” He said, deciding that he himself would be the one who was rude enough to interrupt any further delays. Wrinkles appeared underneath his strange eyes and on the bridge of his snout, something like a mocking smile, “If we stay here much longer, all of us, including you, will suffer the misfortune of being captured by the Nylggzora, before we ever have the blessing of succumbing to hypothermia and frostbite.” He said, honest, but in a somehow harsher, more grating way than how Ravage spoke.

He turned his gaze to the Gardener, “Before we are forced to once again flee from something that we have no hope of fighting against, is there anywhere in the geography that we can reach before dusk? The Nylggzora have natural cryoprotectants in their bodies, so preferably, the spot would be hidden, as well.”

Ravage gave Querois a disapproving look at his disrespectful manner as she walked back to the rest of the group, the medical kit held by her one good arm. She shook her head, and inclined her head towards Krevozs slightly, “Please pardon Querois, he is…a bit unpredictable…” Although she was being politically correct, she was really trying to say that this child was impossible to control properly, and would probably do many things that he would dislike, even if threatened.

Rune rubbed his temples, annoyed, “Ah…why do you manage to earn my respect so easily, and then throw it away just as quickly?” Although he hated to say it, his so-called adoptive brother was hard not to respect, at least for his wit, if not anything else. He was very smart, an undeniable fact that Querois would probably never stop flaunting over him. What was strange was, despite the situation, he was actually somehow lapsing back into quarreling interactions, even though it made no sense.

Querois looked at Rune sidelong, “The galaxy is filled with amazing things.” He said.

Rune blinked. It made no sense.

Ravage looked at the Gardener, “Although I would love to launch into a lecture about manners and negotiations, he’s right. Our top priority needs to be safety, before we worry about reaching the gravity beam. It won’t go anywhere while we concern ourselves with caution.”

Back to top Go down

Post by Vara Lord on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:47 am

Jaci had understood what Ravage had said to him more or less, and made sure to stand close to Rune and Querois. At Krevozs word, he slowly lowered his bow and relaxed the string, but he did not remove the arrow. Jaci could see that some sort of alliance had been reached, but he still distrusted the Jorro'kil, and was rather afraid of him. Jaci himself was neither small nor weak, but Krevozs was bigger, and probably stronger, too. But what disturbed Jaci most was the fact that he was obviously intelligent, too, more so than the sort of creatures Jaci was accustomed to facing. Since coming to this world, Jaci had tangled with more than a few creatures that were quite often larger and stronger than him, such as 673. However, Jaci had always had the advantage of being mentally superior to all of these creatures, a strong factor in his survival. However, a potential enemy that was not only big and strong but smart as well was something else entirely.

Nervous though he was, Jaci tried his best to look tough and ready, and he stood near Rune and Querois with an air of being ready for anything. Before today, Jaci wasn't known for caring for others. The Liirlith had hardly been good teachers when it came to charity, and living here had only strengthened in Jaci a suspicion of anything strange to him. However, having shared dangers with Ravage and her group had formed a bond between him and then, and, after a fashion, he was starting to feel genuine concern about what happened to them. Given the choice between leaving them and returning to where he came from or staying, he would be more likely to choose the latter, although he might not have been able to express why.
Vara Lord
Xenoarcheologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Randomnator on Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:43 am

673's trek across the frozen biome had slowed, his path zig-zagging across the snowy plains as he attempted to cover as much ground as possible. While he had come across one or two bizarre creatures during his journey, all had uncannily moved away the moment he got close, eventually losing sight of them in the gloom. 673 let out a low, whining growl in his frustration. The cold was already so intense that frost was beginning to form on both his skin and what was left of his crude bone armour. Something at the back of his mind told him it wouldn't be long before the temperature dropped enough to force him into a hibernation mode, which out in the open would be certain death. He needed to find shelter, and fast.

Brushing off the worst of the frost, the Hithe reached the crest of the next snowdrift, the height giving him a little more distance to see even in the growing dark and strengthening winds. Out of the corner of his eye a small shape scurried away but was quickly forgotten when a prick of light shone out in the distance.

Even 673 could put two and two together. Light meant lifeforms, which probably meant shelter. Frankly 673 was fine with stamping out the former to lay claim to the latter, internal chemicals already bubbling in preparation for combat. Without a second thought 673 took off, his heavy footfalls kicking up snow and ice.

The terrain grew more uneven as he quickly closed the distance, frozen boulders and rocky shelves providing hazardous footing. The light grew as the distance closed, revealing its source as a bubble of energy that almost completely enveloped a large rocky outcrop standing in the middle of the rough terrain. Clambering over the last few boulders 673 bolted for the energy bubble, aiming for the barely visible figures that could be made out on the opposite side of the field. When he reached a close enough distance the Hithe leaped, claws outstretched towards the nearest throa-

~fzzt~

673 rebounded as the energy field coursed through him, his body collapsing into the snow. It didn't hurt all that much, but the shock was enough to scramble his thoughts and motor functions for a few moments.

Lying in the snow and twitching, 673 decided this was a great moment for a large string of swearwords. The day had been nothing but disappointment, confusion, dead ends, a lot of running about and not enough punching things and he had finally had enough. Picking himself up, the Hithe slammed his fist into the ground as he glared at the blurry shapes behind the bubble, cracking the rock underneath.

Whoever had put that shield up was going to regret it. For the first time since three days ago, 673 was livid.
Randomnator
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:34 pm

Krevozs heard the static fizzle, and received an alert from his built-in wrist communicator. He jumped over a rock, and headed towards the direction of the attempted break-in at a brisk pace. As he approached the energy field, he saw a creature covered in some sort of crude armor. Details were obscured by the bubble, but whatever the thing was, it was likely angry and dazed.

"It can't hear us, and it will not get through, unless it is resilient enough to handle a consistent electric charge coursing through its body." He said. His combat blade activated, jutting out to a length of three feet.

"If it is, I can handle it."

"Now, Chimerosu, you were saying?"

"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by curius on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:01 pm

"There is no time!" Gardener yelled anxiously. The ground was shaking, and the rocks in the outcrop seemed to be sinking slowly. "As I was about to point out, we are almost standing on a maintainance passage." Now the rocks were sinking to the ground, the ground below them also decending, looking like an opening ramp. "And Jorro'kil that creature is not the... Nylggzora?" Gardener said, glazing unsurely towards the Werean. "They are Contaminant level black. A category they share with Khartla. But we'll share information later", Gardener said, this time glancing to the sky that was quickly turning black in a weird pixelated manner. The ramp was now forming clearly, the rocks almost wholly sunken to the ground that was sloping downwards into the ground. The ramp was fifteen feet wide and it seemed the passage would equally high in couple dozen seconds. A soft and faint orange glow was coming from the gap opening as the ramp was lowering. "Everyone inside here!" the Gardener commanded, becoming at the widening gap with its short arms.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vara Lord on Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:24 pm

Jaci sniffed the air. The as he caught the scent of his enemy beyond the force-field, a spasm of hate passed over his face. "Beast!" he hissed. He started when the passage began to open. Anyone who had assumed he was a primitive unaccustomed to technology would have thought he would panic at the sight of the maintenance passage opening up; however, although surprised, it was no more than that of someone who had found something they knew about in a place that they simply hadn't expected to find it. Still, he wasn't exactly about to jump into an underground passage at the behest of things he didn't trust. He cast a glance at Ravage, waiting to see what she would do.
Vara Lord
Xenoarcheologist

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:55 pm

Ravage looked at Jaci, seeing that he seemed to recognize the creature that had arrived at the edge of the force-field, and even appeared to possess something akin to hatred for it. It was a look she knew very well, having seen rage on the faces of many different people, enough that it was no longer difficult for her to read the expressions of a novel alien species. She glanced at where Krevozs was attempting to investigate the creature with something approaching concern, and then looked back at the ramp that had appeared, sensing that the temperature was beginning to rapidly drop with the onset of night. “We need to go, we’re out of time.” She said with finality. Without any more hesitation, she opened her wings, revealing the brilliant, eye-like patterns under her wings, and flew down the ramp, disappearing down the passage.

“You need to come with us now, or it may shut without you!” Querois shouted out to the Jorro’kil, “We do not know how long the passage will be open!” With this parting remark, Querois, slithering on his belly, glided over the ground and into the earth, his body like a writhing black shadow as he used traction and his suction-feet to cling to the walls, allowing Rune space to fly down using his wings.

Xenos, sniffing once, growled at the form outside of the field, but then, raising his head as though he were looking at the sky, whined, pawing at the ground with one of his massive forelimbs. He didn’t like this place. His master and those with her did not completely trust the stranger that had followed them here, and they felt equally comfortable with the strange life-form that smelled like metal. The Spiromander, though having seen the Gardener speak, did not detect anything organic about it, and did not know what to think of it. He doubted it was alive, but it still had several qualities that made him decide that, for the sake of simplicity, he would treat it as though it were.

His eye-slits, detecting the radiation of warmth down the passage, told him that it was the safest place to be in this biome. Whining again, not sure what to think of it, he slowly lumbered after his master, Rune, and Querois.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vara Lord on Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:18 am

Jaci shot a quick look in the direction of Krevozs, and then stepped into the passage. He shot a quick glare at the Gardener. "No trick?" he growled. "Jaci watches." With that, he went the rest of the way in.
Vara Lord
Xenoarcheologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:59 am

After some delay, Krevozs followed the rest of them. He didn't want to abandon his force-field emitters, but the current situation made it highly impractical to try to retrieve them. So, with one last glance at the angry thing outside the shield wall, the mercenary descended the length of the ramp.

"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by curius on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:47 pm

Confirming that all of the organics were heading for the shelter, Gardener reversed the ramp, and sprinted for it. Jumping through the snow it managed to jump through the closing gap of the rising ramp. It landed on the metallic floor with a loud clack, the ramp sealing above it..

The passage was high and wide as a metrotunnel, albeit were poorly lit. Only couple dozen exposed electronic instruments along the walls glowed faint orange light. It was also sloping downwards. Gardener had no difficulties in the low-light environment noticed some of the organics looking bit disoriented. The glowing electronics brightened up a bit, reaching the brightness of a low-end leds. A couple of them popped up however, making a faint bing sound and couple sparks. Gardener continued downwards the passage about sixty feet, reaching a point where the floor levelled straight and the walls expanded to a room.

The "room" showed to be a junction, some fifty feet wide and deep, with three other tunnels continuing from it. Electronics, metal panels and cables of all sizes covered the walls and roof. Gardener scanned around the opening, detecting no organic nor virtual anomalies. It also noted that while the air was much warmer here than outside, it was still below freezing point. It unheated it's laser-cutter, and started to shoot and cut the around the roof in a pattern. The laser flashed red and sparks flies until a power-cable thick as a tree slumped down, it's cut end hanging a feet from ground.

As gardener revealed all its instruments and started to peel and process the cable-end, it spoke to the group: "I will prepare a heat-source here, no point to go further now and risk running into working security. More importantly, I will not let any of you jeopardise my goal. Meaning this: nobody splits from the group until we return to the surface. While down here, you will follow my instructions. And if I understood correctly at least one of you wills to terminate other ones existence. No-one will try to harm anyone. Failure to follow these demands leads to me opening the ramp and/or setting off the security alarm." Although Gardener's tone was friendly, almost overtly so, the threat and seriousness was obvious to anyone who correctly understood what it said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:51 pm

Krevozs retrieved a large industrial-grade hand-held lamp from his survival pack, and shone it in the dimly-lit junction.

"I have no problem complying with your instructions."

He stood there, half-freezing, expressionless, and looked over each one of Ravage's companions.

"I see you've adopted a group of.. cohorts. How ironic." He remarked.

"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:47 pm

Ravage shot Krevozs a look, before it sank into a look of disappointment, and sighed, “Ironic, of course it is. The greatest irony is that I’m running away. My whole life is an accumulation of self-contradiction.” She said, coiling up on the floor, “I’ve done many things, and now I’ll spend another portion of my existence trying to make up for my own weakness. In the end, whether everyone knows my name, or what I’ve done, or if they don’t know who I am at all, I’m just another person looking for something better.” She looked at the collection of aliens, one animal, and a machine, and shook her head, “You can call them cohorts, but I’ve seen a thousand different strangers, and a single word can’t describe them all.”

Querois, huddled in one corner alongside a wall, cackled cruelly, “We are all the company that nobody wants to keep.” He said, eyes glinting fiendishly, “We are demons, freaks of nature, and the lowest classification among our kind. Some of us never had a place to call home, we never belonged anywhere, but somehow, we still know what it feels like.” He looked between Rune and Ravage, “Maybe my own people never wanted me there. They were disgusted by my own fascination with the rest of this galaxy. I could never be myself. Around aliens, though, I found you, and you never treated me like I was disgusting or broken.”

Rune snorted, “No, you are simply a know-it-all.” He commented dryly, “Even so, you have saved us several times since landing here.” He shook his head, “You do many things we dislike, but you should not sell yourself short. You are clever and bright, and you have knowledge to back what you say.”

Querois fixed his gaze on Rune, “Ehh? What was that? I think I might need to hear that over. In fact, I want a recording. Did the great detective just give me a compliment?

Rune scowled, “Goodness, you are the most obnoxious being I have ever met, Chimerosu or otherwise.”

Querois giggled, and turned away, “That sounds more like something you would say,” He said, his tone more even. The smile on his face, however, suggested that what Rune had said made him happy. He was very happy, despite the situation that everyone was facing. He pretended he didn’t care what everyone thought of him, but that was not the truth. More than anything, being seen as simply annoying or irritating was better than being viewed as nothing at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vara Lord on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:29 pm

When the Gardener made it's statement, Jaci understood next to none of was said, but the tone of its voice stirred something in Jaci's memory. He had heard this sort of tone, a tone of supposed friendliness that concealed a threat. The Liirlith used it all the time to make him do what they wanted. He had learned quickly that to ignore it could spell dire consequences.

As the Gardener spoke, Jaci's eyes narrowed, and he hissed. His hand reached for the sword he had strapped to his back, in reality, a piece of sharp-edged slag that he had adapted for his own use as a weapon. His hand touching the roughly-bound hand, he cast a glance around at the others, but found that, compared to himself, they didn't seem to be showing as much alarm. Slowly, Jaci relaxed a little, but still fingered his weapon and glared at the Gardener suspiciously.
Vara Lord
Xenoarcheologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:58 pm

Krevozs looked at Ravage, and for a moment, his expression softened; just as quickly, however, it again became unreadable.

"Am I not worthy..." He muttered under his freezing breath.

"How much longer, caretaker?" He asked the UFIAI machine.

"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by Alimnation on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:42 pm

The Survivor trekked through the snow biome at a much slower pace than normal. The snow has made its way into his armor and caused his exoskeleton to harden and stiffen his movements. The journey up to this point had been quite easy, but snow is something him, or any Xliveien for that matter, was not prepared for. His PDA constantly flashed to remind him to find a way to get warm quick or else it will become so cold his exoskeleton can’t regulate his body heat and cause him to freeze to death. Eyes dotting back and forth he looked for someone or something that he could use but to no avail.

“Damnit…why didn’t I follow that other guy?” He said to himself as he started to search his emergency kit for some hope of heat. Unfortunately all his kit had was extra bullets and some gauze. He did not think this all the way through.
Alimnation
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by curius on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:26 pm

After having peeled of about four feets of polymer coating from the thick cable, Gardener started to form a complicated coil of the strands of conductors that were inside. After some ten minutes of careful setting and coiling Gardener retreated from the hanging cable. Soon the coiled conductors started to glow, first red and then turning through blue to white. Soon the coil radiated both with intense heat and pale white light.

"There is the heat source. I advise strongly against touching it, as it is both hot and strongly electrified. Actually, one should keep a safe distance of at least five feet," it said in its cheery tone. It slowly walked across the floor, its feet making a quick clacking sound on the hard surface. Once in the middle of the junction it lied down, resting on its "stomach", all six legs pulled close to its body. Thanks to its multiple eyes it had a clear vision to all of the three other corridors leading from the junction, and to all of the "creatures" accompanying it. "You should now rest, perhaps sleep if that is necessary to your species. In addition, you can ask questions that I will answer best I am able. I have deemed this beneficial for our success, both by preparing you to the coming challenges and forming a trust to me", Gardener stated quite confidently.

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:46 pm

Although there was the golden opportunity to obtain any information that they wanted, most of the members of Ravage’s party were completely silent. With a heat source and only three corridors for the warmth to escape, it would make sense if the exhaustion from the day’s events finally started to sink in. Despite this, however, nobody could completely shake their anxiety. Two Chimerosu and a Werean would normally be considered a strong combination of strength, but even so, many of the creatures on the Garden World strongly outmatched them. Querois and Rune were juveniles, not yet in their prime, and the strongest fighter was suffering from a broken arm.

After a long, uneasy pause, Querois became the first individual to speak, “I have only a single question for you,” He asked. “How did the Nylggzora, the creatures in the black classification you mentioned, escape? Was it accidental, or did it seem…deliberate?” His eyes glinted cunningly, amusement in his voice. “Do you know? I feel that this is quite important,” He pressed. The leering expression on his face was perfect, flawless, as though the entire situation were simply a passing bad dream.

“Why exactly does it matter if their escape resulted from intentional actions, Querois?” Rune asked. He had moved over and coiled himself tightly on the floor, nearer to Ravage. Although he clearly possessed emotions, his large yellow eyes were cold and listless; they seemed dead, with their unwavering stare. “They have escaped, and they pose a serious threat to all of us. Are you insisting on playing mind games, engaging in a battle of wits with whoever did it?”

Querois fell silent, his façade breaking momentarily as he looked over at Rune, before he once more plastered a cheeky expression across his features, “Would you like to know, eh, detective?” He asked teasingly, “Does it bother you that much, that a nuisance holds this much power over your fate, and all due to knowledge that you do not yet possess?” His face suddenly contorted into a very dark, alarming expression. “You jenggui idiot…do you think I’m always playing a game, that every time you try to contradict or argue with me, that I’ll overlook it?” He slithered over to where Rune was, suddenly moving very fast, and rose up so that he was balancing on his tail, pointing an accusing tentacle at the Maozhuian, so that the tip was practically touching his face.

“Perhaps you have never dealt with someone like me, but I will tell you how this works. I have always been serious, from the very first moment when we met, until even now.” The Werean’s face became a disturbingly violent snarl, “I refuse to change for your sake, or even for hers,” He jerked his head in Ravage’s direction. “I am happy the way I am, and everything that I have ever jenggui faced made me the individual that I am today. You can call it ‘mind games’, but for me, this was how I lived my life. My enemies were bigger than me, faster, and I could never grow any stronger, the way they never let me rest, the way they never permitted me to even remotely become a threat.”

Querois touched the tip of his tentacle to Rune’s face, “I love this galaxy and everything that is in it, and nothing delights me more than toying with others, but if there is one thing that I absolutely, positively, jenggui hate, it is when those around me refuse to take my actions seriously.” The skin along his gills flashed a brilliant shade of crimson, lightly dotted with shades of blue. “Don’t take me lightly, Rune, because while I don’t care if you think I’m annoying, or a nuisance, I still calculate everything that I am doing.” He pulled his tentacle away, and his skin faded back to the same deep, shadowy black that it had been before. His harsh expression softened, slightly, “We are brothers, now, so I will make sure that this strange, motley family survives.” Once again, steel crept into his voice, “Don’t misread me, like you did just now. It is unbecoming of you.”

With this finishing remark, he slithered over to a distant corner of the chamber and crept up the wall, before clinging to it, so that he was suspended upside-down. He tightly wrapped his tentacles around his body, and moved no more. He did not visibly fall asleep, due to his lack of eyelids, but something about his face, the way it relaxed, provided some sort of indication that he was less aware.

One could only wonder, was that outburst normal, or was it because of stress and exhaustion? He had fallen asleep almost instantly. Quite incredible that someone could rest after becoming enraged so abruptly.

Rune, who had remained frozen throughout Querois’ entire rant, murmured under his breath, when he was sure the Werean would not acknowledge anyone else, “I had hoped to understand his psychology, but it seems that I regret trying to analyze him, as I have done with others, now that I have seen such a reaction.” He sighed quietly, “He is unstable, at best, but that was the worst outburst that I have seen from him, thus far.”

Ravage covered her face with her good hand, shaking her head slowly, “Rune, you cannot turn him into another psychological study, like what you might have done on your home planet. He is not actively trying to hurt anyone; he has been keeping us safe using everything at his disposal. The very fact that you could not see that he is truly concerned only reminds me that you are still young, and do not fully understand the ways of this galaxy.” She fixed her eyes on Rune, the reactive elliptical pupils scolding, “No matter how different the two of you may be, you are perhaps the closest thing to a real friend or family member that he has. You hurt his feelings very badly, just now.”

Rune’s expression became a scowl, “That does not excuse the bizarre phenomenon of his unpredictable mood-swings. They appear to be growing worse. Secondly, we did not meet that long ago, and he taunts me constantly.”

Ravage tilted her head, “Taunting is a means of receiving attention. That is his way of showing that he values your existence. Additionally, you are used to being the most intelligent person who knows what will happen next. You are accustomed to reading people and knowing what they’re thinking, and how they will react. You can’t predict Querois, and that upsets you; that much has been clear to everyone in the room.” She blinked slowly, feeling exhausted, “That child wears his heart on his sleeve. He wants people to like him the way that he is. He doesn’t want to change, and I will not try to force him.”

She slowly fell asleep, “Neither should you…It’s something that only the person…can decide…” She sighed, and then she moved no more.

Now, Rune was the only member of the group of three that was awake, save for Xenos, who slowly lumbered over to the Maozhuian, before ruffling his muzzle through the feathers on his head. Rune absently reached up and patted the side of the spiromander’s face, noting that the creature’s head was heavy. Xenos was balanced as a creature so much that it was easy to forget his presence, as large as he was. He was a silent figure that only appeared when needed, seemingly vanishing when not addressed. “You think I did something wrong, too, don’t you?” He asked, although Xenos could not voice a reply.

Rune lightly pushed Xenos away, and turned to the Gardner, “Please ignore that outburst; Querois would never physically try to harm us, although his words sting quite badly.” He said.

He tilted his head, “Since everyone has forgotten the question in the heat of the moment, what is the answer to what Querois asked you? I am unlikely to fall asleep, as things are. I am prone to a touch of insomnia, you see, and seeing as this is a situation where as many people need it as possible, I have no desire to disturb anyone’s rest.”

Rune looked at Jaci, and then at Krevozs, “I know that everyone wants to be safe. Knowing is safety.” He said. He had altered his language slightly, trying to make sure that Jaci would understand what he said. Taking into account the recent events, he realized that the native on this Garden World probably knew very little Loccalian, and that he probably did not understand much of the conversation that was being used. It was clear, now, that he was trying to make it easy for Jaci to recognize what he was saying.

Rune looked at the Gardener, “Use simple words in basic Loccalian for your explanation. The more of us that know what is happening, the better. Jaci speaks little of the language we are using currently.”

Back to top Go down

Post by Vara Lord on Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:41 pm

Jaci lay in a crouched position. He had started and tensed at Querois' outburst, not understanding what it was all about. He carefully watched the Werean as he took his place of repose, eyeing him like a mouse might a sleeping cat. He started a little when Rune addressed him, and cocked his head. He understood what Rune meant, but couldn't understand the context. Had it had something to do with Querois' outburst? But that didn't make any sense. He say that Rune was speaking to the Gardener now, and turned his gaze to their robotic guide, looking at him questioningly.
Vara Lord
Xenoarcheologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 30 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30

View previous topic View next topic Back to top