Dib Comments Thread

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dib Comments Thread

Post by Darkel on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:11 pm

In order to keep that thread specifically for dibs, please post all of your questions and concerns about dibs here.

[20:34:09] ShadowBroker : What? Your computer radiation made you black?
Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Re: Dib Comments Thread

Post by ViperaUnion on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:15 pm

I hope the dib I made isn't too overbearing, but I feel like it would be ridiculous if someone made an entire race of planet-sized monsters that were actually capable of movement (Kuth-Lun can't actually move by itself). I kind of just called dibs on anything that really stood out and made the Nylggzora unique.

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:45 pm

Could we change "dib" to "reservation?"

I can multitasking - Prussian

I actually was busy trying to get more gonger ale - Prussian

Also...just because you rescued a male chick and called him Kevin, doesn't mean I care. - ViperaUnion

But in retaliation, I'm going to add all your typoes to my sig. - Prussian

It's not a horror game, it's more of a pussle - Prussian

Follow the Bloody Brick Road - Prussian

Shut your skittley little mouth - Darkel

I'm actually quite humble, I just love to mess with scurbs. - Canis_dirus

Whos : Ah, I like my bleach straight..

curius : In the eyes
"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:50 pm

Dib is easier. New people might not know what we mean by reservation.

Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:51 pm

Eh, okay. It's just everytime I see "dib" I think of the character from Invader Zim.

Also...just because you rescued a male chick and called him Kevin, doesn't mean I care. - ViperaUnion

"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:56 pm

Lol so do I.

I should probably mention though, guys, let's not go crazy with this. This is just for those little things that you want to keep unique to your race or character. So don't go around dibbing every little thing about your race. This is just for those things you don't want people to steal.

Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:05 pm

Okay, then, I guess I called dibs on anything necessary to keep the Nylggzora unique.

The problem is that some people are writing dibs on things and the dibs themselves are so long I find my eyes just skimming over them. You're kind of reading the information, but at the same time your brain isn't processing it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel on Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:09 pm

I try to make it so that my dibs are straightforward. Sometimes that requires me to explain a couple of things, but still I try not to drag on about it.

Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:14 pm

Well, straightforwardness is important, it's easier to just keep things simple.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vara Lord on Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:19 pm

To tell you the truth, my last dib about the Vara was a bit of a panic dib. I was getting afraid someone would take something that I had wanted for the Vara and claim it as being a unique characteristic of one of their races. Sorry about that.

By the way, how do you make that little hide-drop-drown thing that Zaroas put in a couple of his dibs?
Vara Lord
Xenoarcheologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel on Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:24 pm

Code:
 [spoiler][/spoiler]

You shouldn't panic. This isn't made to make people panic. This is supposed to help people.

Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Vara Lord on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 am

Thanks for the spoiler tip.
Vara Lord
Xenoarcheologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel on Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:19 pm

Uh, Randomnater, did any of the admins approve of your Hithe sheet before you made the last dibs?

Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Randomnator on Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:42 pm

No. Sorry, feel free to remove it.
Randomnator
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel on Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:54 pm

I'll look at your sheet before I do anything. Would have gotten to it sooner but I've been busy this week.

Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel on Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:29 pm

Vipera, I am removing  your latest dib because that is something that has to be decided by the admins and story makers.

For reference, her dib stated that the Wereans were the oldest race with origins in Ravena. It also said that they were to be the only race to use cloaking technology, which is overbearing.

Also,

@ViperaUnion wrote:Dib #22: The Dram'knoll (The Dracosians have been re-named) Have the most powerful overall fleet of any single race in Ravena.

Absolutely not.

Not only does that violate the rule about taking down dibs with dibs, it is also a major OP issue. Plus, to be quite frank, it's absolutely hands-down ridiculous.

Guys, if you don't quit abusing this we won't do it anymore and I'll just decide who get to do what on my own. I don't want to control who makes what but if this gets any moe out of hand with all the OP dibs, I will decide. And as a note: me, Zar, Whos, and curius are allowed to make bigger, more influential dibs that control plotlines and influence stories and stuff. That's because we are the storymakers. The rest of you should be making things along the lines of "my race has three hearts in their bodies" and stuff.

Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:28 pm

Well, I don't mind those dibs being shot down, because I was honestly confused about wording. I don't know exactly what to say about the Dram'knoll, but I can only say that they have an extremely massive fleet because they live in space, and they also have a large number of extremely big ships that travel at a relatively fast speed, because of the fact that they have to live in space and therefore don't get time to work on planets. I made a dib relating to power because everyone else is making dibs about the largest ships, the fastest fleets, and the largest-sized fleets. I feared that these dibs were going to start undermining the point that the Dram'knoll are supposed to regardless have a very powerful space fleet. If not powerful, at the very least, highly balanced and well-rounded in regards to defense, speed, power, and size overall. I was only worried that my own race was going to be undermined.

As for the Werean, I don't mind them not being the eldest, although I thought I was told that it was alright by someone awhile back, which was why I put that in a dib. I would not do it otherwise.

What bothers me, is that I never said they were the only race to use cloaking technology overall. I said they were the only race that could use it to hide entire solar systems or planets. Otherwise, why would Ravage, a Chimerosu, have a ship using advanced cloaking?

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaroas on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:30 am

I think part of the issue that we're having with dibs that we tried to address yesterday, and is still present, is creating dibs catering to power that have no distinct disadvantages. A counterexample of this would be curius' dib, which I think is perfectly fine - In exchange for having the largest fleet, the UFIAI would have some of the weakest ships. It's balanced. The same applies to my dib about the Eldraunn having the biggest ship - It's not a great advantage if you think about it. Having the largest ship also means having the biggest, easiest to hit target. A large ship like that would likely also be slower, making it more vulnerable than one would think.

I'm stating these because they have clear disadvantages within them as well. Saying that something is absolutely THE most powerful doesn't offer anything of the sort. This is also an issue with Dib #20, and I'm going to say that Vara, it might be a good idea to add something to balance the dib out - Perhaps the Markovans, while being fast, don't have very good defense systems? We can figure something out.

I understand the concern about your race being undermined, but it's possible to make them having a very powerful fleet without outright saying that it's the strongest, period. Just because a fleet doesn't have the biggest ship or the fastest ship or if a race doesn't have the largest fleet doesn't mean they can't be incredibly strong. I'm going to cite an example from Mass Effect here. The Systems Alliance, the humans, are very likely to be most powerful fleet in the galaxy. However, the Asari have the biggest ship, the Turians have objectively a more powerful military and such, the Quarians have the largest fleet, etc. But the humans can stand up against them due to their adaptability and other strengths. Maybe it's not possible to make a dib specifically for that, but the example still applies. I'm actually going to go out on a limb here and say the a dib won't be necessary for the Dram'Knoll military's power. It's heavily implied that they're strong due to the fact that they live in space and such, as you stated, so it's not really necessary to reserve their power. Ultimately their strength will be dictated within the RP, where a lot of this stuff won't really matter.

I also want to say that every race is very different, and so it's hard to call something outright more powerful or stronger. A lot of the dibs that you refer to are something we can quantify, something objective. Your dib was very subjective, and part of the issue was that we can't really say outright how different races can be stronger than others. I really don't want to decide whose race can be more powerful than others and whatnot because we can't really find out in a way that isn't biased and is objective. Perhaps we can create a tier system of empires, and those within the same tier have "equal" amounts of power? Also, the issue can be counteracted entirely by joining one of the various alliances - On their own, for example, the Vrentus are pretty damn weak, but the Terminus Pact helps to take that away.

That's what I have to say about that. I unfortunately cannot really say anything about the Wereans cloaking issue because it was removed by the time I came online. It does seem, however, that you have a point, and I personally won't have an issue with reserving the right to cloak entire systems and such, as it's a defining element of the race. I think is this case it was misinterpreted to mean all cloaking technology, which is of course ridiculous, especially given your statement on Ravage - Additionally, cloaking devices have been used so often in the RP's past that making them a dib wouldn't make any sense. I'm going to go ahead and take your side on that one.

Ultimately, like Darkel said, the dibs are not meant to be abused. I do see both points, and if you feel that something is undermining your race, it's better to talk to us than to create a dib like what you did.

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:04 am

Well, alright then. I'll try to be better about telling people if something bothers me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vara Lord on Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:50 pm

I will add a trade off to the Markovan ship dib. It never occurred to me to so before. Sorry.
Vara Lord
Xenoarcheologist

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:46 pm

Hey, Dark, you just made an RP, and although I can't say anything about most of the stuff there, you're mentioning something called a 'World Eater', so I'm a bit concerned. A lot of your stuff feels like its overlapping with my own race.

That in mind, is the 'World Eater' species something that only covers the surface of a planet, or does it completely devour the entire world, literally? If it's the latter, it's directly violating my dib that there should be no other planet-sized organisms other than Kuth'Lun. Additionally, even if it isn't something that violates the dib, I've been developing the Nylggzora through the RP's somewhat, and it's already been stated by one of my characters that sometimes Kuth'Lun is referred to as a 'Devourer of Worlds' in ancient texts. By that point, it sounds like you're trying to make a creature that's the same species as Kuth'Lun, when it isn't.

You're also mentioning something new, 'Karthla Parasites', which sounds a lot like the Nylggzora parasites that my own race invades with. The only reason I'm not really as strict about this one is because it sounds like these parasites aren't visible to the naked eye, and they actually cause a physical mutation to the host. Regardless, I've never heard any mention of Karthla spreading via any means other than a virus, so I am extremely concerned.

I've jumped through hoops to make sure my race doesn't overlap with Karthla, I've changed their name and had to give a million spoilers about their lore and everything as proof that I'm not a copycat. Your latest RP is adding a bunch of new things, and while I like the overall theme of it, I'm really off-put by the fact that, in this one, the Karthla just keep getting increasingly similar to my own race, after I've spent a very long time trying to ensure that they wouldn't be.

I have invested a lot of work and effort into the Nylggzora. I've literally spent days or weeks working on art pieces characterizing them as a race, and trying to come up with ways to illustrate their lore so they can almost be an individual story by themselves. It really upsets me that you're adding new things like parasites to the Karthla, along with creatures like 'World Eaters', and not even bothering to ask me if I thought that was okay, when you should know that those features are the unique key-features of the Nylggzora.

Dark, while I can't say anything about the parasites strictly being a dib violation, this 'World Eater', along with the sudden presence of parasites, instead of viruses, that cause things to turn into Karthla, is very upsetting to me. I feel like you're violating my own race's unique qualities.

I'm not accusing you of doing this intentionally, it feels more like pure accident, but right now, your current RP feels like it's heavily-overstepping boundaries, and it contains elements that are far too similar to my own race for me to not say anything. I really want an explanation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:41 am

Firstly, I will say that I was not intentionally "copying" you, Vipera.

Secondly, the "World Eater" thing has been around in the Karthla lore since the moment I made them in RG, only it was called a "Podra" back then. They've always spread hives that eat away at a world. Always. I can't really change much of that and I think that it's kind of common knowledge that Karthla do that, and has been for quite some time. The parasite thing is new, yes, but I wasn't referring to any kind of tangible bug or worm or anything like that. I was merely describing a microscopic anomaly.

I can change the wording a bit, but Vipera, to be completely and totally honest with you, you shouldn't have made a race that is so blatantly pulling from the Karthla idea in the first place. There are going to be things that overlap for as long as you are using a race that is infectious and animalistic like this. I'm trying not to sound harsh but you can't expect me not to extend and add onto the Karthla lore in time, or change what things are called. I think it is your own fault for making a race that even despite all these little details to separate themselves, in the end, are really no different from the Karthla.

Third, why would I ask you if it was okay? If anything, you should ask me if its okay, because I came up with the Karthla first. How am I supposed to know half of any of this when you hardly ever speak about it to anyone but yourself? I do not read any of the stories that are posted in the story section nor do I read any RP posts other than Disruption due to my lack of time to do so. If you tried to involve me and Zar in some of what you do, you wouldn't have these problems because we would know. To be honest I completely forgot this race of yours even existed because you never even speak about them to us.

Also, I looked over your dib. Your dib only states that organisms cannot come from a planet-sized organism. It doesn't say that there can't be other planet-sized organisms. On top of that, a World Eater/Podra in the Karthla's case is hardly a creature, rather a large web of hives that eat a planet. They are connected, but are each individually different, so it's not a "planet sized creature". But the only thing about this that's changed since 2013 is the name used to describe it.

Again, I don't want to sound too harsh here, but I don't know what you're expecting. You never post anything about your race in places where Zar, Whos, and I will see it. And it's been quite a long time since you've said anything to us about it, and we don't have computer memories. To be frank with you I've always just wished you'd stuck with expanding on the UCN. Sorry. Neutral

Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:53 am

Actually I did know about Vipera's race, but I didn't remember well enough to see any glaring similarity between your two infectious races.

Just to be clear, I'm not taking sides here.

"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:48 pm

Dark, I have defended the Nylggzora multiple times, both privately and in public, to prove that they are not similar to Karthla. It is true that in some ways, there might be similarities, but the way they invade planets, and even their motivation for doing so, is completely different. I was not even intending to accuse you of copying things on purpose, and also, I am very much aware that it is important for races and their lore to evolve over time. It would not be any fun if they lost those dynamic qualities. At any rate, based on what you are saying, there is no real violation of any dibs, or any overlapping traits between our races. That eases my worries sufficiently.

This in mind, I should tell you that I'm somewhat offended that you're turning this into a third occasion for accusing me of copying you, when I've constantly had to accept this bashing, over and over again. I've already made the race, I'm not going to abandon them. Also, while you were gone on hiatus, I have submitted multiple dA art pieces depicting them, and have openly discussed aspects of the race with people in places like the chatbox. I have also already introduced them for the first time in an RP, and am developing their lore further using that method. It shouldn't be possible to forget that I have been developing them.

I am not keeping all of my ideas a secret; it's just that for half the time I was really developing the Nylggzora, it seemed like you wanted no involvement in RG at all. There was really heavy speculation that you were going to abandon RG completely, and a lot of stuff happened independent of anything involving your races or plot lines. I have mentioned to people in the chatbox several times that I am working on a sub-plot involving a Chimerosu variant that is separate from the UCN, which has evolved into a symbiosis with Kuth'Lun, and worships it as a god. I'm not actively trying to keep everything a secret from people, or intentionally refraining from talking. I'm excited because I have all of these ideas, and none of them have to involve anyone if they don't want to be involved, since my plot ideas are generally limited to interaction between my own races, unless others want to join in.

This in mind, I don't know that much about Karthla, because the last time I genuinely had anything to deal with them was years ago, and even then, I was never one for enjoying the actual 'invasion and warfare' parts of RG. I'm interested in RG for emotional development and philosophical questions that can be raised. It's my creative outlet, and my inspiration for drawings and art. Even if I wanted information on your Karthla, the last time I went onto the wikia, a virus tried to hit my computer, and as a college student with online classes and deadlines that aren't going to be forgiven if I miss them due to technological errors, I can't afford to lose things.

Overall, I have no access to information that would be classified as 'common knowledge', and secondly, I shouldn't have to ask for permission for everything I do, when, as I said before, Kuth'Lun and the Nylggzora are radically different from the Karthla, except for a few small similarities. I can't believe you're going to call them 'no different' when they're hardly the same at all, which is further reinforced by your own explanations of how Karthla reproduce and invade.

Also, information about the Nylggzora in summary, so that there is an actual record of how they are different:
Summary:

Nylggzora variants are completely sterile, save for the production of parasites. A parasite, approximately two to three inches in length, possesses small 'smasher' appendages around its mouthparts that can move with sufficient speed to rival that of a bullet. These are used to break through helmets, teeth, beaks, etc. and enter the digestive tract of a host. Once it has reached its host's stomach, the parasite will embed its mouthparts into the lining, and secrete a compound that prevents the host from vomiting, as well as substances to prevent being recognized as a foreign object by the immune system, and thus causing an adverse reaction. The compound that suppresses the immune system may take from one to three hours to take effect, during which painful swelling and inflammation persists in the abdomen, as well as nausea, although the host will be unable to vomit, no matter what actions are taken, or what substances are ingested. Any attempt to remove the parasite via surgery will motivate it to use its sharp ring of teeth to completely penetrate the walls of the digestive tract, spilling gastric acids into the rest of the body, along with other digestive substances, and feces from the host's intestines. The parasite will attempt to irreparably damage vital organs and remain within its host until death, and even if successfully removed, will generally have killed its victim by the end.

When a parasite has successfully suppressed the immune system of its host, it will fuse the cells of its mouthparts with the lining of the host's stomach, deriving nutrition from the circulatory system, and secreting a combination of compounds that affect host behavior, making them docile towards Nylggzora, and more likely to hinder or otherwise prevent attempts at resistance by others. It will also constantly secrete a form of anti-venom in heavy dosages, making the host immune to Nylggzora neurotoxin, normally responsible for causing paralysis, and sometimes leading to asphyxiation or cardiac arrest. Generally, physical symptoms of infection, such as dark circles under the eyes, are mistaken for insomnia or sleep deprivation, further made believable by strange or erratic behavior.

the reason for the Nylggzora's suppression of sentient races or higher-level animals is intended to obtain control of worlds with an inhabitable ecosystem, containing stable temperature and atmospheric conditions, and also means of information for locating other planets that are suitable for life, as space-faring races, in particular, are more likely to lead the Nylggzora to other safe worlds. Once a planet has been sufficiently suppressed, and it is unlikely that the native races will be capable of resisting Nylggzora actions, a large burrow will be made at one of the planet's poles (Where cold weather is more persistent and likely to render the area inaccessible), reaching deep into the world's mantle, and a single egg will be placed. The resulting tunnel will then be collapsed on the egg, preventing anyone from accessing it.

Over millions of years, this egg will hatch into a larval-stage Nylggzora Kur'Inaki (The term is new, but the story is not. I'm still working on finding names for the variants that sound like actual titles, or more correctly deities, since they're worshipped by a cult under these names), which is the same variant as Kuth'Lun itself. This larva will secrete acids and digestive substances, at first absorbing nutrients and minerals through its skin, as it will lack mouthparts or any means of locomotion, relying on internal structures to sustain itself. It will gradually develop foot-like structures similar to a slug or snail, and eventually, strong jaws and an established digestive tract that will allow it to actively ingest pre-digested materials from its acid. The Kur'Inaki will gradually eat around the planet's mantle, slowly hollowing out the planet from within, and eventually growing large enough to cause seismic activity, such as earthquakes and tremors. Eventually, the only remaining portion of the planet will be its core, and the Kur'Inaki will mature into an adult-form, genetically identical to Kuth'Lun, and capable of sustaining the environment of the planet by itself.

It should be noted that, in the case of a stable planet lacking sentient life, or possessing only primitive races, Nylggzora may not invade at all, instead attempting to curry favor with native races, and befriending them, therefore peacefully obtaining the right to implant a Kur'Inaki inside the mantle. Because the process of hatching and maturing can take many eons, it is generally expected that by the time the planet is completely devoured, any races or life on its surface will have long-since gone extinct, or have moved to another world due to dangerous seismic activity, or for other reasons that make it otherwise uninhabitable to other creatures

primary reasons for aggressive invasions include pacifying a race, and safely protecting a Kur'Inaki egg once it is placed inside the planet, either via actively guarding tunnels, or by shrouding its arrival and subsequent implantation inside the planet in mystery, so that natives are left unaware of a monster slumbering underfoot. If an egg is placed within the mantle and it is successfully kept a secret, Nylggzora, once they have collapsed the tunnel, will generally leave 'dummy eggs' sent by Kuth'Lun that hatch into larger variants, so that if found, people will think they have destroyed the actual nest.

Nylggzora invasions that are aggressive also do not immediately begin once a target planet is found. Scouts created by Kuth'Lun, which are often intelligent and capable of speech, often arrive in secret, masquerading as a wandering race of X species, generally being mistaken for illegal immigrants, or poor space nomads. With the presence of the symbiotic Chimerosu cult, the capability of these scouts to examine a planet has been greatly improved, as they are less likely to be seen as invaders, by being ferried around the galaxy on their ships.

Scouts using ships is the only occasion on which Kuth'Lun or Nylggzora are willing to use technology, and they will stick to space-flying variants for all other purposes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel on Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:25 am

Firstly, let me say that the Karthla are RG's oldest race. They were the first to be submitted, and they have been quite renown amongst the club for what they do. You don't need a wiki page to know that the Karthla infect people and eat planets. That's their entire species summed up in a sentence, and it's been that way for years and years and I don't see how you could miss that even if you completely ignore the articles of information I've put up about them. Granted I've recently took those down so I can work on them, but that's really easy and simple and something I think every long-term RG member should know by now. Equally, you should know that Jorro'kil are authoritarian bird-creatures. That's just simple common knowledge. Loccalians are the tyrants from before times. The Zraak are lizards who work for Kradus. It's just very basic stuff. Karthla eating planets and infecting people is no different.

Second, I do not enjoy "bashing" you about this, that's why I've pardoned you with this many times and am continuing to do so. I don't see why a second infectious race is even necessary. I'm not bothered by us having similar races, everyone crosses each other eventually, but my problems are two things: a) despite your claims, the two are still obnoxiously and drastically alike, which I'll explain that later. And b) you are the one who brought this up.

Finally I will quote your paragraph about this race, and I will embolden anything that the Karthla also have:

summary:
Nylggzora variants are completely sterile, save for the production of parasites. A parasite, approximately two to three inches in length, possesses small 'smasher' appendages around its mouthparts that can move with sufficient speed to rival that of a bullet. These are used to break through helmets, teeth, beaks, etc. and enter the digestive tract of a host. Once it has reached its host's stomach, the parasite will embed its mouthparts into the lining, and secrete a compound that prevents the host from vomiting, as well as substances to prevent being recognized as a foreign object by the immune system, and thus causing an adverse reaction. The compound that suppresses the immune system may take from one to three hours to take effect, during which painful swelling and inflammation persists in the abdomen, as well as nausea, although the host will be unable to vomit, no matter what actions are taken, or what substances are ingested. Any attempt to remove the parasite via surgery will motivate it to use its sharp ring of teeth to completely penetrate the walls of the digestive tract, spilling gastric acids into the rest of the body, along with other digestive substances, and feces from the host's intestines. The parasite will attempt to irreparably damage vital organs and remain within its host until death, and even if successfully removed, will generally have killed its victim by the end.

When a parasite has successfully suppressed the immune system of its host, it will fuse the cells of its mouthparts with the lining of the host's stomach, deriving nutrition from the circulatory system, and secreting a combination of compounds that affect host behavior, making them docile towards Nylggzora, and more likely to hinder or otherwise prevent attempts at resistance by others. It will also constantly secrete a form of anti-venom in heavy dosages, making the host immune to Nylggzora neurotoxin, normally responsible for causing paralysis, and sometimes leading to asphyxiation or cardiac arrest. Generally, physical symptoms of infection, such as dark circles under the eyes, are mistaken for insomnia or sleep deprivation, further made believable by strange or erratic behavior.

the reason for the Nylggzora's suppression of sentient races or higher-level animals is intended to obtain control of worlds with an inhabitable ecosystem, containing stable temperature and atmospheric conditions, and also means of information for locating other planets that are suitable for life, as space-faring races, in particular, are more likely to lead the Nylggzora to other safe worlds. Once a planet has been sufficiently suppressed, and it is unlikely that the native races will be capable of resisting Nylggzora actions, a large burrow will be made at one of the planet's poles (Where cold weather is more persistent and likely to render the area inaccessible), reaching deep into the world's mantle, and a single egg will be placed. The resulting tunnel will then be collapsed on the egg, preventing anyone from accessing it.

Over millions of years, this egg will hatch into a larval-stage Nylggzora Kur'Inaki (The term is new, but the story is not. I'm still working on finding names for the variants that sound like actual titles, or more correctly deities, since they're worshipped by a cult under these names), which is the same variant as Kuth'Lun itself. This larva will secrete acids and digestive substances, at first absorbing nutrients and minerals through its skin, as it will lack mouthparts or any means of locomotion, relying on internal structures to sustain itself. It will gradually develop foot-like structures similar to a slug or snail, and eventually, strong jaws and an established digestive tract that will allow it to actively ingest pre-digested materials from its acid. The Kur'Inaki will gradually eat around the planet's mantle, slowly hollowing out the planet from within, and eventually growing large enough to cause seismic activity, such as earthquakes and tremors. Eventually, the only remaining portion of the planet will be its core, and the Kur'Inaki will mature into an adult-form, genetically identical to Kuth'Lun, and capable of sustaining the environment of the planet by itself.

It should be noted that, in the case of a stable planet lacking sentient life, or possessing only primitive races, Nylggzora may not invade at all, instead attempting to curry favor with native races, and befriending them, therefore peacefully obtaining the right to implant a Kur'Inaki inside the mantle. Because the process of hatching and maturing can take many eons, it is generally expected that by the time the planet is completely devoured, any races or life on its surface will have long-since gone extinct, or have moved to another world due to dangerous seismic activity, or for other reasons that make it otherwise uninhabitable to other creatures

primary reasons for aggressive invasions include pacifying a race, and safely protecting a Kur'Inaki egg once it is placed inside the planet, either via actively guarding tunnels, or by shrouding its arrival and subsequent implantation inside the planet in mystery, so that natives are left unaware of a monster slumbering underfoot. If an egg is placed within the mantle and it is successfully kept a secret, Nylggzora, once they have collapsed the tunnel, will generally leave 'dummy eggs' sent by Kuth'Lun that hatch into larger variants, so that if found, people will think they have destroyed the actual nest.

Nylggzora invasions that are aggressive also do not immediately begin once a target planet is found. Scouts created by Kuth'Lun, which are often intelligent and capable of speech, often arrive in secret, masquerading as a wandering race of X species, generally being mistaken for illegal immigrants, or poor space nomads. With the presence of the symbiotic Chimerosu cult, the capability of these scouts to examine a planet has been greatly improved, as they are less likely to be seen as invaders, by being ferried around the galaxy on their ships.

Scouts using ships is the only occasion on which Kuth'Lun or Nylggzora are willing to use technology, and they will stick to space-flying variants for all other purposes.

- Karthla eat planets
- Karthla reproduce by infecting
- Karthla have "variants" (I have since had to change the word to "classes" because of your use of variants)
- Karthla have space-traveling variants (how else would they get around?)
- Karthla have "shape shifting variants" (granted I am still developing these, but that concept still remains)
- Karthla "eat worlds"
- Karthla eat life

Look Vipera, I like your ideas, I like your use of science and physiology, but the way you're doing it is undeniably close to the Karthla. I mean, you may add all these tiny details to this race but when you step back and look at the big picture, it's still identical. It doesn't usually bother me since you don't really involve me or bring any of this to my attention or awareness usually, but when you bring it up like this, I can only state my mind. I am sorry to have to be this way, but this is how I feel about this. I'm not saying you should abandon your race, all I'm saying is that they are extremely similar. I know that everyone looks at things like the Zerg and Eldritch Abominations and thinks "that's badass, I want to do something like that", because that's where my inspiration came from the Karthla. But after sitting here and for years seeing race after race and clone after clone of the same thing, it just gets old. I've seen that Kardesh, the Cold Ones, that one race that that Heartless guy made (I think) that I can't remember the name of, and now, what appears to be this one.

I'm fine with this, I am. I'm fine with us having some similarities and I'm not trying to make some big deal out of this, but you've brought this up some I'm just telling you what I see. That's all.

Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top