Dib Comments Thread

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Dib Comments Thread

Post by ViperaUnion on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:03 pm

Dark, what I did not have awareness of, specifically, was the World Eater or Podia that you mentioned coming from pods, and specifically that alone. I know about the world eating and the variants. I know Karthla reproduce by infection primarily, and I also recall that you mentioned awhile back that there are purebreeds or something that hatch from eggs and possess physically superior traits. Before HangingDeath destroyed the old wiki, I read this whole page on Karthla reproduction, specifically. Since you mentioned something about the Dominion no longer having the original Karthla with Mother Edus (it was that, right? Something about rejecting an alliance with prey. I may have butchered the name), I don't know anything. The most I know is that the virus mutated and there are new Karthla. I don't know how the new ones differ from the original yet, other than their skin being mostly black instead of magenta. I honestly can't say it's very clear what the Karthla are like, because you introduced these changes, and I don't know how dramatic they are from the original.

This in mind, if you're not telling me to abandon my race, and it doesn't upset you too much, then it doesn't bother me. Unfortunately, on key differences, we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't recognize similarities where you see them, and I can't force my way of thinking on that to change.

To lighten the mood, though, I think we can both agree that color-wise our races are different. I had a ball with my designs, so they wound up really crazy-looking. Karthla are pretty much pure black with red eyes, from what I gather, aside from a faint colored tinge. The Nylggzora are iridescent purple-pink and blue, with flecks of gold and brown. They have green-gold eyes and turquoise-aquamarine tentacles. The insides of their mouths are yellow. Their entire bodies are mottled with spots of different colors. I wanted them to look pretty scary, but, I think I made them too colorful to completely nail the effect.

Also, wrote this entire thing using my phone. Yes!

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:41 pm

As for the purebreeds, yes, that is somewhat accurate. Although I have changed it slightly since then and the purebreeds are only the intelligent commanding Karthla, and they're basically built in these special ways which I won't get into right now. But yeah.

As for the whole relationship between the Dominion and the Karthla, it goes like this. The Dominion originally needed a catalyst to make itself grow militarily and territorially, so it made a deal with Edus and the intelligent Karthla. Kradus would let the Karthla eat away all the races that the Dominion wished to exterminate in exchange for peace and service between the Dominion and the Karthla. The Karthla accepted because they were also smaller at that time, and Edus had big plans for growth as well. She'd only accomplish this if she had the support of a sentient race or two and their militaries.

So basically Kradus made the Karthla power increase and boom. When he died and the Dominion crumbled without him, essentially becoming dust compared to other empires, the Leprol, the leading faction amongst the remnant of the Dominion, decided they'd only attract more enemies by associating themselves with the Karthla and implementing them among their military power. So once they cut themselves off from Edus, she grew very angry, but the Karthla was now strong enough and wouldn't need to depend on the Dominion. Smartly, Edus took the Karthla to hide away and grow even more in the more desolate areas of the galaxy where the small and tiny empires lie, rather than getting involved with the mess of the UFIAI, the Terminus Pact, the Confed., etc. So when Kradus returned, he wanted to reestablish his friendship with the Karthla, but Edus was no longer interested.

As far as colors go, those sound pretty good. And yeah, the Karthla are mainly black with purple marks and/or tints, sometimes brown or gray. Their eyes are usually red or purple though, sometimes with yellow or pink flecks or tints.

[20:34:09] ShadowBroker : What? Your computer radiation made you black?
Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:24 pm

Well, one thing I can say that I really like is that one of the most dangerous races is led by a female matriarch (Not a feminist, but I'm a girl, so I enjoy when people occasionally put females in leadership roles).

At any rate, I like the colors you picked for the new Karthla. Pure black with red eyes might initially sound plain, but by adding flecks of color to the eyes and faint markings, that adds the natural feel that you get when you look at most reptiles in real life. (Plus, I'm nostalgic because my old signatures used to have snake eyes widely featured as the central focus)

For my own races, I'm usually looking at mostly butterflies, squid, and jellyfish for inspiration when it comes to color. Chimerosu are usually a lot like butterflies (Ravage especially), while the Nylggzora are mostly like squids. The Dram'knoll are not only inspired by butterflies, but also by harlequin frogs, goats, iguanas, and dinosaur bones. The Svangar...well....one look tells you they're based on antelope, bats, mandrills, bears, butterflies, and a kind of iridescent tropical wasp.

Really...my races are largely patchworks of different animals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top