Something Old, Something New - OOC

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Something Old, Something New - OOC

Post by Whos on Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:20 pm

curius, your latest post brought up an interesting issue. I did not take into consideration the fact that the UCN would likely be a member of the Confederacy during the time that this RP takes place. SO,SN does take place ahead of current events in Fatebreaker, but I really am not sure how things are going politically between the Imperial Coalition and the Confederacy. We can say that, officially the Imperial Coalition is a "part" of the Confederacy, but beneath the surface there's a lot of tension between them and the rest of the CNR. So, not wanting to get in political trouble, Logov has refused to claim authority over the Krylonian ship for two reasons:

One, he would rather not take flak for invoking the name of the Confederacy, and two, he doesn't know if the UCN's participation in the Confederacy would automatically grant the rest of the Confederacy jurisdiction over an ancient Krylonian vessel.

I can multitasking - Prussian

I actually was busy trying to get more gonger ale - Prussian

Also...just because you rescued a male chick and called him Kevin, doesn't mean I care. - ViperaUnion

But in retaliation, I'm going to add all your typoes to my sig. - Prussian

It's not a horror game, it's more of a pussle - Prussian

Follow the Bloody Brick Road - Prussian

Shut your skittley little mouth - Darkel

I'm actually quite humble, I just love to mess with scurbs. - Canis_dirus

Whos : Ah, I like my bleach straight..

curius : In the eyes
"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:33 pm

I think I'll finally be able to breathe this weekend.

So...anyway, how the future of the UCN goes isn't really clear, though they intend to ally with certain groups (On Ravage's urging) just because they need to ensure they don't get divided up and conquered again. Chances are, though, even if the UCN allies, they aren't going to just hand over Krylonian tech and their own progenitor race's custody to some random bunch of people. That would be considered both unethical, and highly dangerous, since while most things are dated, they had other reasons for being secretive.

Look at it this way. Krylonians didn't use fancy tech very often. They liked having beautifully-designed ships and were rather peaceful, and they don't really want to complicate something any more than they have to. Because of that, some stuff isn't fancy or as futuristic, like how doors open and pass codes. It's just a lot older, ancient, compared to how far other races advanced in certain ways. Most of their high-tech research is made in the medical field, and in engineering of structures. This is why their stuff tends to last for thousands of years, leaving ruins that seem almost perfectly intact. Their materials capabilities are extremely special, given Ravage's claws and later stealth models of spacecraft.

If I were to say clearly why Chimerosu keep certain things a secret, I would say it's largely for moral reasons. Chimerosu are the conservation supporters in the galaxy; they're a race that strongly believes that it is wrong to cause the extinction of a species, and as a result, the Krylonians themselves have more information on a wide number of unique planets than anyone realizes. They have also discovered many unique plants and animals, perhaps even a small number of primitive races that haven't become civilized yet. Some worlds were chosen as colonies, solely because they wanted to snap the uninhabited systems up before someone else tried to harmfully exploit the ecosystems. Others are guarded secrets because of similar fears (When you think about it, most Chimerosu worlds are unique, but less-than-ideal for colonies of the original Krylonian race).

Most significant, however, is that these discoveries also include genetic sequences, carefully stored and preserved, of each of these things, and from a large number of specimens for each thing. The gene-gathering is sort of like the Liirlith, but not for any malicious purpose. There are also files on breeding information, which is basically how Chimerosu 'create' their breeds of domestic animals. They don't actually genetically-manipulate things, unless there's some sort of disease that they can cure, or if it's for the purpose of keeping something on the brink of extinction from dying out. They're kind of leery on using artificial methods to create things (Stemming from Krylonian life having reacted very poorly to early attempts) so they typically rely on educated breeding programs.

While seemingly benign, because the Krylonians can also determine what genes do which things in a body, and how environmental factors influence mutations in a biological thing, their data has weaponry applications, since most aliens have DNA composed of the same substance. Because of the breeding programs and the data on biology, it's possible to achieve certain things at lower-cost, if time isn't an issue. There's also mention of compounds that can make things like the light-refraction camouflage of Chimerosu possible, alongside things like heat-resistance, etc.

I kind of figure, Krylonians are kind of like that race that COULD be dangerous, but they choose not to be because they're afraid of what would happen. I'm not saying other races don't follow similar practices, but the Krylonians were pretty hardcore researchers, they're guaranteed to have more data on certain things than other races did.

Ultimately, you can't say their lack of trust in other races is completely baseless either, since there's often a lot of backstabbing in Ravena. They're kind of like that 'big sister' race that looks at everyone and thinks, "nope, you won't use this responsibly, so I can't permit you to take this."

Serpent Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Vara Lord on Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:32 am

So, watcha' think everybody? Should I make a go at this RP?
Vara Lord
Xenoarcheologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:31 pm

You may join if you'd like.

Also...just because you rescued a male chick and called him Kevin, doesn't mean I care. - ViperaUnion

"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_dirus on Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:48 pm

Hmmm this should be interesting..... I like how Vendor actually mentioned jurisdiction and such.

Anyway, staring at you Vipera... xD
Canis_dirus
Cadet

http://ancerious-galactic.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:15 pm

Gah...

Okay, more problems. I had to get a new computer recently because school requirements were impossible to meet with my old one, but even through my UAB license, they won't let me use Word unless I buy a subscription (I consider Microsoft a bunch of slimeballs for that. Now I gotta break down and pay a bunch each year just to use the old program that used to come for free?)

Therefore, when I write my next post, there's no guarantee it'll actually make it to being posted, because Word was my insurance against the forum eating my stuff.

Just a heads up

Serpent Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_dirus on Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:49 pm

Try using Wordpad or Openoffice.
Wordpad comes free on Windows operating systems and Openoffice is a free alternative to Microsoft Office.

You could also use Google Drive
Canis_dirus
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by curius on Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:50 am

Google drive is good as it saves to cloud, so even If your computer goes the data is safe. Also you can work with different platforms.

Honorary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Well, then I'll try that.

Also, just a few minutes ago, I have decided that this must be the period in my life where all my old tech starts to fail on me. My mouse was also four years old, and just died on me. Now I'm using the keypad.

I will forever remember that my computer and mouse must be replaced every four years, otherwise this may happen again.

Serpent Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Vara Lord on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:59 pm

1. Character Name: Nevra Churim
2. Character/Empire Picture: N/A
3. Character Description: Nevra Churim is a fairly recent member of the Daro
Armada/Military, and is cousin to the High Prince of Daro, Vey Churim. Thanks to certain recent circumstances (see Character History), he possesses enhanced strength, agility, and senses, as well as telepathic and telekinetic abilities. He is a passionate individual, and has a strong sense of justice and morality. His strong passions sometimes can lead him to impatience, and, being a recent addition to the Military of Daro, he lacks experience. He is, however, kind and cares about other people a lot, and will do what he can to help others in need.
4. Character History: Nevra was born to a fairly low class family. His parents, through a great deal of hard work and sacrifice, managed to obtain sufficient money to send him to an academy. However, he was unsure of what he wanted in life, and so flopped around between different majors, before eventually dropping out. Having used up all the money given by his parents for his education, and being in debt, Nevra was forced to take up work in a shop to pay for himself. When he was 33, his father contracted a very aggressive form of cancer, and died. Devastated by the death of her husband, Nevra’s mother wasted away in grief, dying shortly after her husband. Now alone, Nevra buried himself in his work, getting little enjoyment out of life for many years. One especially great source of bitterness to Nevra was his cousin Vey Churim, and the fact that he had never done anything for Nevra or his family, despite being High Prince, ultimately leading Nevra to believe that Vey didn’t care. In fact, Vey hadn’t realized that he had any living relatives, and, upon discovering Nevra and his relation to himself a year before current events, was quick to try to help him, offering to help him find better employment. Nevra accepted this reluctantly, not entirely trusting his cousin, and was sent on a science mission as an intern. However, the patrol was captured by a race of creatures called the Krystiran, who were members of the Dominion. The crew, including Nevra, were subjected to cruel and often lethal, experiments by their captors, with Nevra and one other Vatarri being infected by a virus that worked by blocking their DNA from expression. Fortunately, a stealth mission into Dominion territory led by Vey Churim’s half-brother Aarin Tiirmot happened to discover that Nevra and the others were there, and was able to rescue them. A Humdar scientist named Osmo Genther was then able to manufacture a form of virus that worked to by destroying the DNA of the infecting virus and restore Nevra’s original DNA. This had the unexpected side-effect of granting Nevra mental powers and enhanced physical abilities. Nevra used these abilities to good effect helping defend Vathoris against a Dominion attack shortly after. Now reconciled with Vey Churim, Nevra was given a position of command within Daro’s armada/military.
5. Other: Nevra is about 49 years old.
Vara Lord
Xenoarcheologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:04 pm

Accepted, although I'd like to know how you'll introduce this character into the RP before you actually do.

"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by Vara Lord on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:41 pm

My thought was that he is in command of a ship that has been cloaked and watching from the sidelines, or perhaps they arrive on the scene similar to how the others do so. What do you think?
Vara Lord
Xenoarcheologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:02 pm

It depends. A clear intrusion would create some commotion among the ships, but cloaked and watching would open up a more mischievous route for action. What sounds better?

"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by Vara Lord on Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:35 pm

In some ways, I think the cloaking makes more sense. First off, there's the presence of the Imperial Coalition, which would definitely make for an antagonistic atmosphere for reasons I've mentioned previously. There's also the potential threat that the System poses. This would the first time anyone from Vathoris would be encountering them, and they would definitely err on the side of caution. Then again, hiding their presence could also result in an even more hostile situation, should they be discovered.

And yet, as I think about it, such a situation could potentially result in a more interesting story overall. With that in mind, I feel inclined to go with the cloaked ship idea.
Vara Lord
Xenoarcheologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:22 pm

Okay then. I'll get to posting SoonTM.

"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by Vara Lord on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:16 pm

Me, too. (I hope!)
Vara Lord
Xenoarcheologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:13 pm

canis, we await a post.

"
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_dirus on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:45 pm

Darn website not emailing me...

where Kaakri and Kiicreen had stood outside the door. One of them approached it and raised its arm, tapping gently but firmly on the door with its hand in a knocking manner.

I still require a response to this from Vipera

"Your claim of jurisdiction is recognized. If survivors are found, we will hand the vessel and the survivors over to your custody. Otherwise we will return the ship after the completion of our survey" was beamed back to Vendor

Also while not required, a response to this from Curius would be appreciated

--------

Varalord, what things does your cloaking device hide? I actually might be able to detect it (if it doesn't block gravimetric warping of space then 4-1994/4's accelerometers could probably find you if they start looking due to your announcement of your existence)
Canis_dirus
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vara Lord on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:00 pm

The cloak can hide most things, such as light and electromagnetic wavelengths, acoustic signatures and echoes, etc. It's the basic package, albeit done better than most, although I don't know about gravimetric warping. Probably not.
Vara Lord
Xenoarcheologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_dirus on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:11 pm

Gravimetric warping, is the natural warping of space due to a mass existing in it, aka a gravity well. Finely tuned instruments (accelerometers) can detect those from small objects like thips
Canis_dirus
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vara Lord on Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:36 pm

I suppose that's alright. Perhaps we could say that my ship was far enough away that it didn't really show up as something significant on 4-1994/4's instruments at first?
Vara Lord
Xenoarcheologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_dirus on Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:43 pm

Yeah that is what I was thinking.

Vipera I still need you to respond please Very Happy
Canis_dirus
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:04 pm

I've posted, but I can't do very much except for build more suspense with a brief post. It's been a busy period lately.

...anyway, I should note, Krylonians typically all know how to speak Loccalian to some degree, but even if they could read and write it fluently, and understand when someone is speaking in Loccalian, any Chimerosu born on the ship will probably not speak very well, solely because they don't have much reason to practice.

Serpent Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_dirus on Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:30 pm

That's quite alright. I liked your short post.

lol the language problem is going to be exacerbated by the fact that the System has never spoken Locallian aloud, and so while they have a working knowledge of its writing, speaking it is a different matter...
Canis_dirus
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:51 pm

Well, that's why the one guy is giving feedback. When you meet strangers, trying to make sure you know whether or not you speak the language properly is important.

Just think about it. Chimerosu have very complex language, but to an outsider it's sort of like random bird sounds. If you wanted to copy it randomly, you might wind up swearing and cursing in public without even knowing it.

Serpent Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum