Ruthless Galaxy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Characterization and Character Development Thread

2 posters

Go down

Characterization and Character Development Thread Empty Characterization and Character Development Thread

Post by Zaroas Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:56 am

Introduction

I have been a member of Ruthless Galaxy for a little over a year and a half. Over that time, I have seen much within the club and the RPs change, but there are also aspects that have remained mostly unchanged, if not at all. One of these is an issue that we all have as writers, and that is characterization, and the development of the characters within our ever expanding stories in Ravena. A lack of these creates a variety of issues, such as a forgettable character or a Mary Sue. Characters should be fleshed out and detailed, with strengths and weaknesses, etcetera. I feel that many characters have been written about then promptly neglected and thus remained something hollow and shallow. Here's a video I'm sure that many of us are familiar with that demonstrates this. As an example, I created a Wreae for Q'ren's crew in the Disruption because I felt that the Federation needed to have some sort of representation within the mission. Quickly, I found myself struggling to make its character worthwhile and memorable, while post after post went by with zero interaction towards that particular character.

So, why am I creating this thread? To solve these issues. Many of my ideas for character development, personality, etc. I have received from Whoster, Darkel, or others on the chatbox. I figure a similar process would be great for the rest of the community, especially considering many of you don't visit us on the chatbox (Sad). So, the purpose of this is to allow the community to collaborate on character ideas and development when people struggle with it. If you want to flesh out a new character or add on to an old one, and can't think of any good ways, this is the perfect place to go.

How does it work?

It's quite simple, really. Fill out the form with the character information you have and some potential ideas that the rest of the community may be able to expand upon, and from there just wait while others help out.

The Form

This works like a regular sheet for an RP - However, there are essentially two forms. One applies to what you actually know about the character at hand. Note that, if you don't really know much yet, you can leave a section blank and specify in the next section, which basically lets you do this. So if I made a character, and knew everything about them except their personality, I could leave that part blank in the Known Information section, and specify that is what I need help on in the Unknown Information section.

Known Information
Character Name:
Race:
Personality:
Backstory:
Appearance:
Equipment/Abilities:
Strengths:
Weaknesses:

Unknown Information

((This section is blank so you can fill it out!))

Submitted Characters

Finished Characters
Zaroas
Zaroas
Didact

Back to top Go down

Characterization and Character Development Thread Empty Re: Characterization and Character Development Thread

Post by Zaroas Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:57 am

Reserved if I need it
Zaroas
Zaroas
Didact

Back to top Go down

Characterization and Character Development Thread Empty Re: Characterization and Character Development Thread

Post by Darkel Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:36 pm

This is an excellent idea.

The problem with not visiting the chatbox is that people are missing out on a crucial part of communication here at the forum. We get opinions there, because people are right there at your fingertips. Usually PMs are only exchanged when you need something or need to tell somebody something. I mean no offense to anyone when I say this, but it is my honest opinion. I think that chatbox users generally do better in the RPs because of their communication abilities. They get feedback instantly, even when they don't ask. Because you usually only ask when you know something or either good or really bad. You NEED that interaction.

We understand that at times some of is act in appropriately in the chatbox, but that's usually because nobody else is around. If more people would come, we won't do that. We don't use profanity when in front of people who we know do not appreciate it out of respect for them. So please, come down to the chatbox.
Darkel
Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:55 pm

What upsets me is that we put all this effort out to help people improve and offer our feedback, our help, all that by making these threads, and nobody even cares to reply.
Darkel
Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down