Ruthless Galaxy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Administrative Debate

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

DEBATE POLL - Who are you finding favor for?

First Administrative Debate - Page 2 I_vote_lcap40%First Administrative Debate - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 40% 
[ 2 ]
First Administrative Debate - Page 2 I_vote_lcap60%First Administrative Debate - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 60% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 5

Poll closed

First Administrative Debate - Page 2 Empty Re: First Administrative Debate

Post by Whos Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:12 pm

Mm hm.

What I meant about banning the jokers, it was kind of related to a spamming case, Alteran's. But okay.
Whos
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:18 pm

So. What's the next topic?
Whos
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:41 pm

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but are you there, Grox?
ViperaUnion
ViperaUnion
Serpent Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:53 pm

Yes I am here. VERY sorry for being gone sooooo long. My computer had some wierd problems to the point where it wouldnt even turn on. But I'm back now. Here's the next topic:

> Trolls - What we say to them, how we act and address

This is a much more unique subject. I need to know exactly what you plan on saying to someone when they troll another person. What will you tell them? How will you act? What will you do? Please go into great detail on this part.
Darkel
Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:01 am

In regards to trolls, how one reacts to them is probably among the most difficult of any job a moderator or administrator must do. While it is easy to simply ban them, the situation may be worsened if someone is easily provoked into an argument or fight. Trolls will try to do it, and then, when the entire ordeal is over, it reflects badly on whoever took the bait. I know that I've fallen victim to this before, and I have even once snapped at someone who was completely innocent. In the end, the third party that was innocent described me as having a thin skin, quick to assume that he implied something insulting, and those words stung worse than the retorts exchanged in the arguments. Even if I have been forgiven for the crime by this point, the shame still burns as though I were slapped in the face. I have since then carefully analyzed my words, repeatedly, in hopes to avoid ever making such a fatal mistake again. Do not think that constant compliments are deserved. Compliments lead to pride, and pride makes one blind to their own folly. Shame may be better, if only because you are aware of your mistakes, and can correct them.

In dealing with trolls, I like to give the troll a warning before I truly lash out at them. I'll tell them to cut out whatever they're doing wrong, although normally this is in regards to arguments, or weak spam, such as just repeating the same word over and over again, or continuously writing in all capitals. For things like posting nasty sexual or racist pictures (This has happened on the Sporum awhile back), or profanity, or anything else along those lines, I don't hold back or show restraint. I'll ban them so fast, that they won't even see it coming. I will then delete their posts, because that would probably be how bad they were. As for normal, lesser trolls that are more like just people who got bored, and aren't really malicious, I ban them after the warning.

Please note, my warnings may be a blessing for some trolls that are truly oblivious, because they can choose to stop trolling. However, they may also be my own curse, as things can become truly ugly if the troll decides to argue with me, rather than stop, which has happened before, and resulted in the embarrassing incident I mentioned earlier. All I can state is that I give people a chance before they are punished, but it's their own choice whether or not they should take it. While there is always a risk I may take a flamebait, I am determined that those that do not heed my warning are banned without any further exchanges in conversation that are argument-related.
ViperaUnion
ViperaUnion
Serpent Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:07 am

Very excellently stated Vipera.

Now Whoster, your turn.
Darkel
Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:42 pm

Very nice Vipera.

How I would deal with trolls, is divided into three variations. One, for the Sporum, two, for the chatbox, and three, for the forum.

Now, when a troll spams on the Recruiting office, posts something profane or inapropriate, or simply flame-baits, I give one warning. If the troll continues and there has been no indication it was a case of someone just being sarcastic, then I would alert a SporeMaster of the happenings, and simply wait, giving no more replies to the troll. Unfortunately in past I have fallen prey to the taunts of trolls, allowing myself to fall to their level, which, as Vipera noted, leaves a particular mark of, well, shame. But shame, ironic in a way, can help one see, in a sense. As I see now from experience, there is a better way to deal with trolls. Provoking them can end in disaster.

Now, when it comes to the chatbox, I have a perfect example of how to deal with chatbox trolls.

This actually happened when Aimbora first visited RG. He popped into the chatbox, asking about stuff about joining, or something like that I don't clearly remember, but another person was also in the chatbox. Wanted to know if he could join with a huge race like the Grox that controlled dozens of slave races, or something similar to that. I asked him how they controlled the slave races, and he replied "By giving it to them" I asked what, and if I rightly recall said "By giving it to them in the bed" After this, I promptly warned him that RG would tolerate no innapropriate sexual discussions/things, which he replied to so elegantly by way of insinuation that we of RG were babies. I warned him to stop, when he didn't, I remember clearly I said "That's it" and bang, he was perma'd from the box, never showed his face there, or in RG, again. This example of mine shows the swiftness that is sometimes needed when dealing with trolls, one quality which I hold and will use when is needed. However, there are instances when only a warning, or a temp-ban is required. I believe that if the rules are laid down strictly and simply in the chatbox, it would help to ensure that they are followed, and when the lines are crossed multiple times, or even once if the troll is nasty enough, with warning of course, that a proper ban be given for the appropriate amount of time.

The Private Forum:

The Private Forum is a different matter than both the chatbox and the Sporum, as RG moderaters have actual banpower there unlike the Recruiting office, and the PF is much larger than the chatbox. For these reasons it must be handled with care, especially against trolls. Such as the spam attacks it had earlier.

When, or if a troll does find the PF and attacks, especially if he/she is not a member, One, strong warning should be enough to tell the troll to stop. if the troll continues, then I think, a ban is due. because the forum is, well, private, then it's much less likely for any of the occurrences to leak out, but we should still act responsibly when dealing with them here.

Thank you.
Whos
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Very good, both of you.

Alright. This has been a good debate. Now it has ended. *Whipes sweat from forehead*

The next debate will begin in less than a week, I plan on that. Until then prepare your speaches and get your public outfits ready. This thread will now be shut down. Thank you Vipera and Whoster for your participation, and thank you for the wonderful speaches you both gave.
Darkel
Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Thank you. May I ask if there is any indication as to what the first topic of the next debate will be?
Whos
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2