Ruthless Galaxy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Galaxy Map - Sector Map Finished!

+8
Luxembourgish
Whos
ViperaUnion
Vara Lord
Darkel
Sean1M
The Cunning Linguist
Zaroas
12 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Galaxy Map - Sector Map Finished! - Page 2 Empty Re: Galaxy Map - Sector Map Finished!

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:41 pm

I like this map, but it's hard to tell the arms apart. Most of our old races are on certain specific arms.

Back to top Go down

Galaxy Map - Sector Map Finished! - Page 2 Empty Re: Galaxy Map - Sector Map Finished!

Post by Zaroas Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:41 pm

I'd like to revive this topic, as the need for a new galaxy map has become apparent to Darkel and I.

I think that the above map curius made is good for our purposes, but before everyone puts their empire somewhere, we need to define the various sectors of Ravena and establish a manner of laying down empire territory. I took the liberty of doing so myself using dotted lines to show where the various sectors would be - However, it doesn't look particularly good, so we may need someone with more experience in this kind of thing to lay these down after we establish the names and such.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

These are the initial sector boundaries I laid down. It may look confusing due to the dotted lines, which I used because I didn't feel like drawing everything and it lined up with the dotted grid used. Here is a version with the color of each sector within it for clarification. I made this all on the same psd file with layers so it can be removed easily.

We now need names for each sector. So far, we have two, but we'll need more input as to what these should be. Additionally, with a project of essentially redoing our backstory, races will need to be established within sectors rather than arms. Here's the map again with the sectors that have names.

We need the rest of the community's help on naming these sectors. Please do not name a sector after your race or something, as, lore-wise, these were established before the Loccalians actually came to power. Thank you.
Zaroas
Zaroas
Didact

Back to top Go down

Post by Luxembourgish Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:29 pm

I feel that many of these names will depend on the placing of 34 Pires throughout the galaxy. I don't think I could do much here without more context.
Luxembourgish
Luxembourgish
Space Dinosaur

http://pseudocompsognathus.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaroas Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:32 pm

Like I said, these will have been established prior to the vast majority of empires in RG coming into existence. You can basically make stuff up for names.
Zaroas
Zaroas
Didact

Back to top Go down

Post by Luxembourgish Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:39 pm

Right then. I'll think of some names.
Luxembourgish
Luxembourgish
Space Dinosaur

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:11 pm

The farthest points from the core should be referred to as the "Outskirts Sector" or something similar to identify the deepness of the area. I think that a lot of the names should be distance-based actually, either that or they are named after the things which are located in that sector. By this I mean physical locations and objects, not races.
Darkel
Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by curius Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:50 pm

We should also decide how large is the domain of the dominant races.

My initial opinion would be that:

Large empire, dominant influence over two map "squares".

Huge empire, three squares.

Galactic superpower, four squares.

Also, even though the squares are larger farther away from the middle, the star density also decreases, so they are pretty balanced.
curius
curius
Honorary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Whos Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:55 pm

Exploration Fringe should be for the outermost sectors.
Whos
Whos
Hyper-lethal Vector

Back to top Go down

Post by curius Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:59 pm

I think I'd like to make a better definition version of the map. I also believe that the squares are actually of the same area all around.
curius
curius
Honorary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:22 pm

Here is a system I thought of for division of areas.

The largest divisions will divide the galaxy into Quadrants. The Quadrants being the largest fragments of area. Down from that are the sectors. After that come subsectors.

Perhaps after subsectors, we have millisectors. Perhaps just before subsectors we have Megasectors, which could be those pizza-slice divisions. Just thinking out loud here.
Darkel
Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by curius Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:40 pm

New grid for the map:
curius
curius
Honorary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:11 pm

I like the sector idea, although I would make the areas in the grid smaller, still. That's generally because my empires are small, though. I tend to imagine everything taking up a smaller area than it really does.
ViperaUnion
ViperaUnion
Serpent Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Luxembourgish Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:08 pm

I think curius' suggestion for a grid is a good idea, though when it comes to coordinates the circular pattern may be confusing. We should just have a traditional grid, for precise coordinates, on top of the sectors that Dark suggested.
Luxembourgish
Luxembourgish
Space Dinosaur

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:26 am

I think we should continue work on this.
Darkel
Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaroas Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:06 am

I think a good idea would be to use map and grid that curius created along with the sectors I created. Named sectors would be easier to RP with than numbered and create more lore/history. First, let's name the sectors and work on integrating them on the new map, then we can define where all our stuff is.
Zaroas
Zaroas
Didact

Back to top Go down

Post by curius Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:24 am

before that, I could make the grid tighter if you want, to increase available detail

EDIT: Here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
curius
curius
Honorary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:02 pm

I like that idea. Nice work curius. We had a few names already made. I believe the Loccalians existed in what we will call the Revaut Sector. Correct me if I'm wrong Zar.
Darkel
Darkel
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:23 pm

Maybe we should also make just a plain white sketch of the grid with the sector names on it, so that we can label them big enough for everyone to see, without interfering with whenever we try to put down colors for our races.
ViperaUnion
ViperaUnion
Serpent Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by curius Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:02 am

Do you mean like just the grid without galaxy background?
curius
curius
Honorary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ViperaUnion Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:57 am

Yes. If we try to label the sectors with a background, it might get really confusing, but if we just have two images, one with a mapping of the sectors, people can just use that as a reference when they look at the shaded areas that are considered to be our races' territories.
ViperaUnion
ViperaUnion
Serpent Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaroas Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:30 am

That would probably be good. For reference, the sectors I created are a page back. My only issue as of yet is making the sectors have a definite separation from each other. Like, how would we show sector borders and such?
Zaroas
Zaroas
Didact

Back to top Go down

Post by curius Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:22 am

Here.
curius
curius
Honorary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Vara Lord Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:08 pm

I'd like there to be a sector that has been relatively unexplored. I'm afraid the only names I can come up with are the Unexplored Sector (lame) or else the Undefined Sector (also lame). This would be where the Vara used to live.
Vara Lord
Vara Lord
Xenoarcheologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaroas Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:13 pm

The sector names won't be in that style aside from the Central Sector. I've explained this to Darkel, but I'm not sure if I let anyone else know - the sector names are based off of races that lived/events that occurred in them long before even the Loccalians existed. For example, the Novus Sector, where the Novus Alliance existed, is named after a war that occurred there, not after the coalition. The knowledge of these sector names and their histories have been passed down throughout the ages, most notably the Loccalians, as they saw it fit to educate the other species on them. It's important to note that there are certain things the Loccalians did not teach anyone about for their own security, one notable example being the Eldraunn. We can have a relatively unexplored sector but it will have a unique name.
Zaroas
Zaroas
Didact

Back to top Go down

Post by curius Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:50 pm

I would imagine that the outer sectors might be largely unexplored as the distances between stars is longer and the stars itself are older and smaller in general. Also, we have lots of sectors now, we could have one "slice" of the galaxy, like one sixth or seventh, be largely backwater and wasteland. Galaxy is a large place.
curius
curius
Honorary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next